Full restoration of 1986 CJ-7 starts right NOW - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Full restoration of 1986 CJ-7 starts right NOW

BDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!FREE, FREE, FREE EVENT!! Save big on Lockers now till Apri

Unread 05-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #1
wborisenok
Whitney

Full restoration of 1986 CJ-7 starts right NOW

Hi folks! Newbie here. I'm about to venture down the road of a full frame-off restoration of a 1986 CJ-7. I'm not doing the work myself (I know, boring!) but am going to track the process start to finish. I'll be working with Pete at Toy Box Jeeps in Holly Hill, Florida. Planning to post the progress in this thread over the course of the next 8-10 months!

I couldn't be more excited. I'm a 29-year-old female that's had a passion for Jeeps since I was 14. It actually dates as far back to my dad and my uncle. My grandfather purchased CJ-5s for each of them when they were seniors in high school. To carry on that tradition, my dad did the same for my sister - a Wrangler Sport. I followed three years later, also with a Wrangler Sport. My brother was two years behind me and he scored a Rubicon.

I drove my '04 Sport for 7 years. It did me well and I babied it like no other. In 2010, I traded her in for a 2011 JK. Loved and babied that Jeep, too! When I purchased my first home two years ago I found that 2-door JKs weren't totally conducive to homeownership and made the sad decision to trade it in for a new Grand Cherokee. Since that day I've sorely missed my top down, doors off summers...especially living near Cape Cod.

A friend of mine recently posted a picture of what looked to be a brand new Scrambler. I inquired about it and found out that it belongs to a buddy of his and he "had it built." I contacted the place that did the work and spent days researching them and bugging them with questions. This morning I've decided to go forth and place my order.

I know there can be large debate over what it means to have a CJ that's gotten a "full restoration", but here's what I'll end up driving away:

1986 CJ-7
Red with black soft top
Full hard doors
Manual 5-speed transmission
Straight 6 engine
Optima battery
Black interior with stainless steel accessories
32" wheels on a 1.5" body lift
Black stainless steel mirrors
Tilt steering wheel
Spray-on bedliner inside and out
Chrome stainless steel hinges
Custom side steps similar to a discontinued side step that Warn manufactured
AM/FM bluetooth-ready CD player with Tuffy lockbox
Tires and lift similar to: http://www.toyboxjeeps.com/images/re...s/Jeep_048.jpg
Matching wheel and tire mounted on back

I plan to keep as much of the Jeep as close to stock as I can. I made my deposit today; over the next few weeks they locate my Jeep, set me up online, and I watch it get un-built and re-built. You can check their website for past Jeeps completed and Jeeps currently under construction. It's kind of mind-blowing what kind of work they turn out. For someone like me with no mechanical experience, this is a dream. The owner has been phenomenal to work with; I plan to fly down mid-build and check it out.

Thanks for reading, everyone. I will keep you updated!

wborisenok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
Jcowart62
1979 CJ7 

I understand the passion and the anticipation ,my 79 has been in the shop for the last year and is supposed to be started on this week, that is unless I get bumped again
Jcowart62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
wborisenok
Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcowart62 View Post
I understand the passion and the anticipation ,my 79 has been in the shop for the last year and is supposed to be started on this week, that is unless I get bumped again
I'm slated for an April 28th, 2016 delivery but am mentally preparing myself juuuuuust in case it's late.
Unread 05-04-2015, 10:10 PM   #4
Steve79cj7

1979 CJ7 

how about some pics?
Unread 05-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
wborisenok
Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve79cj7 View Post
how about some pics?
They are actively seeking out my '86 as we speak. I will post pics as soon as they find her! Will also post pics of the build throughout. Stay tuned.
Unread 05-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #6
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

A little curious of what this is costing...
Unread 05-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #7
wborisenok
Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgage-payer View Post
PM me and I'll be happy to share!
Unread 05-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #8
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortgage-payer View Post
If I was to guess, you'd be looking at near the cost of buying a current brand new one.

I totally understand the passion, but doing as much of the work as possible myself is way more rewarding then paying off someone else to do it. I love being able to say that I have literally touched every nut and bolt, know every nook and cranny and got to agonize over the decision of every single part on her.
Unread 05-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
stgil
1982 CJ7 

Good luck

We're waiting for tons of pics.

Regards,

Gilles
Unread 05-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
wborisenok
Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel442 View Post
If I was to guess, you'd be looking at near the cost of buying a current brand new one.

I totally understand the passion, but doing as much of the work as possible myself is way more rewarding then paying off someone else to do it. I love being able to say that I have literally touched every nut and bolt, know every nook and cranny and got to agonize over the decision of every single part on her.
I get the pride thing. Unfortunately, I've never touched an engine..I just have a passion for Jeeps. I've driven a TJ, I've driven a JK, I currently drive a WK2, and am looking so forward to my first CJ.
Unread 05-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #11
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
They are actively seeking out my '86 as we speak. I will post pics as soon as they find her! Will also post pics of the build throughout. Stay tuned.
Wait, so you don't even have a vehicle to start with yet? Am I reading that correctly?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

So, you order up a CJ like ordering a pizza, and they find the rig and build it for you at a fixed price?

How do they give you a price before they find the vehicle? It seems their cost would vary wildly depending on the condition of the CJ they find, no?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #13
wborisenok
Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Wait, so you don't even have a vehicle to start with yet? Am I reading that correctly?
Correct. Check their website here:

http://www.toyboxjeeps.com

They do it both ways: they'll restore a Jeep you already own or you can specify what year and model you want and they'll seek one out to restore for you. I asked for a 1986 CJ-7, so Pete (the owner) lets his spotters know and within 4 weeks they typically have it on hand and start the restoration process.
Unread 05-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #14
wborisenok
Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
So, you order up a CJ like ordering a pizza, and they find the rig and build it for you at a fixed price?

How do they give you a price before they find the vehicle? It seems their cost would vary wildly depending on the condition of the CJ they find, no?

Matt
They have a base price..and it's on the higher end. That's likely to cover any kind of repairs they *might* have to do. But you can add "upgrades" like a winch system, bigger tires, wider stance, higher lift, etc. I think something like this is probably very foreign to folks who are used to doing all the work themselves. Pete's been doing this for 20 years out of the same shop and business seems to be very good, so I'm pumped for the finished product.
Unread 05-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #15
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel442 View Post
You do realize they discontinued making Jeeps in 1986 right?
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.