Full restoration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Full restoration

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 02-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
PlaneJames

Full restoration

Greetings. This will seem like a very basic question to many, but I really need some guidance and help. I have my 1985 CJ 7 that I bought new when in the service in Germany. It has some rust, runs, but not great. I would love to first get it running well and safe. I was thinking of installing fuel injection as Im tired of the carb issues I've had. I would want to then work the rest of the drivetrain, exhaust, radiator and others..

The next big step would be to get the body to a great place.. Maybe give the tub to someone and have them take it to metal and refinish. So what are you suggestions? I live in Vienna va - if you know of local places or people that could help I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks

James

PlaneJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

Hi James and welcome to the Forum. My first suggestion is to dive in and do as much work as you can yourself... there's no greater satisfaction than working on your Jeep. Its a great feeling to work on some particular part of your Jeep and then stand back and say to yourself "yeah... I did that and it looks great!" I don't know of any places to check with in VA, but here on the Forum you'll find tons of advice, information and how-to.

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take everything you have." - Barry Goldwater
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
PlaneJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64
Hi James and welcome to the Forum. My first suggestion is to dive in and do as much work as you can yourself... there's no greater satisfaction than working on your Jeep. Its a great feeling to work on some particular part of your Jeep and then stand back and say to yourself "yeah... I did that and it looks great!" I don't know of any places to check with in VA, but here on the Forum you'll find tons of advice, information and how-to.
Thanks! I look forward to seeing back to new! I would be the first to admit that my hands on skills are very lacking. Hopefully some local will chime in and come to my aid if possible. Thanks again
PlaneJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
19in1979
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneJames View Post
Thanks! I look forward to seeing back to new! I would be the first to admit that my hands on skills are very lacking. Hopefully some local will chime in and come to my aid if possible. Thanks again
James - Don't sell yourself short. I'm disabled and at only 52 I need a cane to get around and it may take a week to do something that another person could do in a couple hours but like Commodore said above, there is no greater pride in doing something yourself. Admittedly, my son does 98.9% of the work on the CJ for me but the 1.01% stems from my ideas and design.

Since you kind of laid out your plans for the body of the CJ, it might be cool for you to do all the disassembly work (including cataloging and photos) and then just send the body out to get it media blasted and painted. That way, someone else is doing the "real heavy lifting" but you'll still have your hand in it. Just my 0.6 cents (adjusted for inflation).

Welcome, take care, and God Bless -

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Wayne [/FONT]

[B]Living the dream at 8,500ft. elevation in beautiful Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado. [/B]
19in1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Welcome to the forum!

As others have said, I'd do as much of the tear down as you can, so that you know the problematic areas that definitely need attention. That way you can emphasize those needs to whomever (if you decide that route). You definitely don't want to have someone just spray over rust.

I installed the Howell TBI kit a couple of months ago and have no regrets whatsoever. It's night and day difference, especially in cold weather. Good luck to you and with your decisions!
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.