Full Metal Door(s) Overhaul - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Full Metal Door(s) Overhaul

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #61
weapon
1983 CJ7 

I am in the process of rebuilding my doors as we speak. That thread post will be very helpful when I get ready to re-assemble.

Did you see jscherb's write up about reinforcing the door frame with 1/2" L steel so it no longer stress near the wing window and crack?

weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #62
mproads

yes I did, I had cracks on both sides of the door shell. I check the hoop out, and it seems fine.
Weapon, do you have your new seals? If you do can you look at the seal that goes in the
chrome channel and tell me if it is box or U shaped. Thanks
mproads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #63
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Unfortunately for your sake, I have not purchased the new seals yet. I am still in the painting stages. The doors are going to be the last items finished. I ended up buying a set of wrangler doors to take care of my two other sets of rusted

On the positive I do have lost of parts left over from 2 sets of doors that I have salvaged: non-moveable wing windows. oem actuators, windows, all the screws and rubber parts from inside etc. One set was from an '83 and the other is from an older 77 set (non-paddle).

While reading through this tread I saw someone was looking for actuators but I did message him since this is an old thread. So I will just leave it out there if anyone is looking for parts for doors.
Unread 07-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #64
mproads

Thanks anyway, weapon, I looked at the YJ doors that I have, and it seems that the
seal in question is boxed shape. So I am going to order a new set of seals that fits a
YJ.
Unread 07-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #65
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Mine are box shaped.They have never been out so its factory.I'm just starting on mine
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #66
weapon
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproads View Post
Thanks anyway, weapon, I looked at the YJ doors that I have, and it seems that the
seal in question is boxed shape. So I am going to order a new set of seals that fits a
YJ.

Did you order cj specific ones? I have always seen them listed as cj/yj compatible.

This is something I have to look into before I order.
Unread 07-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #67
mproads

The first set of seals was for 76-81 CJ doors with non-vent windows. The second set is for 76-96 CJ/YJ doors with
moveable windows. They should be here by Friday.
Unread 07-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #68
weapon
1983 CJ7 

AHHH. That makes a little more sense. Thanks for the reply.
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #69
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Where's the best place to buy the door hardware? Specifically the little spring clips that hold in the wedges for the outside paddle handles. Need new lock cylinders with keys, and the rubber surrounds, thanks.
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #70
mulehead2
1981 CJ7 

Definitely a helpful post. My doors are stripped down, freshly painted, and ready to start restoring.

I use Morris 4x4 for alot of the O.E. replacement parts
mulehead2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.