Full Metal Door(s) Overhaul - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Full Metal Door(s) Overhaul

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #16
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post

...before I made a new post about doors just 5 minutes ago.

Cloudless like everything else...

Joking, and again - I just thought it was funny to bump an 8 year old thread to ask, "so, how'd it go?"

That is all...

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #17
Wheel_Power
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm resurrecting this thread since I'm working on restoring some YJ doors currently. I found some doors on Craigslist and after talking to the guy for a while, he gave them to me for very cheap, only problem is I've had to replace almost every single part in them. The only pieces I've been able to salvage are the locks (which I'll have to have re-keyed), the door mechanisms, the shells, and the glass.

I've been able to replace everything else for around $600, but I still haven't had them refinished or got new regulators.

Anyone used these power window regulators from Electric-Life? They're only about $40 more than the factory manual ones.

http://bit.ly/z6hjms

Wheel_Power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #18
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This always was a good thread.

Power regulators are one more thing to break, but that could be a nice option.

May I ask how you got your parts tab up to $600?
Alheim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
Wheel_Power
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alheim
This always was a good thread.

Power regulators are one more thing to break, but that could be a nice option.

May I ask how you got your parts tab up to $600?
$150 for new vent windows, $140 for both door's complete rubber seal sets (10 pieces), $35 for new outside handles, $25 for new inside handles, $20 for insides pulls with chrome ends, $40 for new hinges, $50 worth of sand paper, stainless bolts, and other shop supplies (rust remover/inhibitor), $15 for new footman loops, $45 for new door panels, $85 in shipping... The manual regulators are $85 a piece, the cranks are $20, the GW06 paint will be $50, the GW07 clear coat is another $50... It all adds up. Still cheaper then buying doors like I will have when they're done though.
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #20
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Too bad you needed new vent windows, but $140 for complete seal sets seems like a bargain , and will be worth every penny. Did you buy them as a set, and if so, where?

In case you missed it earlier, see this thread, which provides a lot of door overhaul advice, as well as pictures, and reinforcement ideas.
Alheim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #21
Wheel_Power
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alheim
Too bad you needed new vent windows, but $140 for complete seal sets seems like a bargain , and will be worth every penny. Did you buy them as a set, and if so, where?

In case you missed it earlier, see this thread, which provides a lot of door overhaul advice, as well as pictures, and reinforcement ideas.
Yeah, the doors I got were completely submerged under water during Katrina. The doors themselves are relatively rust free believe it or not, but everything had to be replaced. Still cheaper then buying Mopar replacement shells ($800).

Here's the link for the seal set, yes it's a kit. http://bit.ly/xUJz6a

I did see that, that guy also makes safari hard tops from scratch. He's amazingly talented.
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #22
Zorty
1983 CJ7 

Damn MoC beat me to the punch for posting the link to the door rebuild from the Gaucho CJ build. I'm in the middle of having my doors halfway apart to rekey the locks to my new ignition cylinder. While I'm not replacing everything like you are (I hope to have the doors off most of the time I'm driving it haha), the thread has sure helped me with pics to see how everything works and goes together. Good luck.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ga...-build-709132/
-->Start at post #997 on page 67 of the build (great read if you look around in it)
Zorty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
Wheel_Power
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, so here's a question for you guys. I took both lock mechanisms out and soaked them in CLR. They were originally so corroded and covered in rust they would even function. After soaking them for two days they're like new. But my problem is, if I leave them out of the CLR for a few hours they're covered in rust again.

What can I soak these in to keep them looking new still. Is that even possible, meaning once oxidized, always oxidized?
Unread 02-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #24
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Buff and clear coat?
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #25
Wheel_Power
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm
Buff and clear coat?
The problem is the piece is riveted and you can't get to a large part of it to buff and coat. Is there some sort of rust inhibitor oil I can soak it in for this? It seems to have some sort of grease coating on it from the factory. Wonder what they would have used?
Unread 02-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #26
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Not sure what you mean by lock mechanisms, but all the internals I lubed up with lithium grease.
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #27
Wheel_Power
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Not sure what you mean by lock mechanisms, but all the internals I lubed up with lithium grease.
I mean the door latch/lock mechanism. I'm looking for a good penetrating oil or some sort of metal prep that I can soak it in so it won't rust right after I take it out of the CLR.

Unread 02-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #28
ezhangcj
1985 CJ7 

I am doing some rust and door repair and I know at Lowes..they have some PB blaster products (right next to the WD40) that should help maintain what you're looking for.
ezhangcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #29
Wheel_Power
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhangcj
I am doing some rust and door repair and I know at Lowes..they have some PB blaster products (right next to the WD40) that should help maintain what you're looking for.
Thanks. I have plenty of that stuff laying around from my suspension conversion. I'll give it a try..
Unread 02-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #30
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

I just accepted the oxidation as a fact of life. Cleaned mine with engine degreaser really well, let it sit for an hour or two then scrubbed the crap out of it. Coated everything with lithium grease and put it back in. A year out and everything is working as it should.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.