Full Metal Door(s) Overhaul - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Full Metal Door(s) Overhaul

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-04-2003, 09:33 PM   #1
AbercrombieCJ7

Full Metal Door(s) Overhaul

I am overhauling the full metal doors on my 1986 Jeep CJ7. I bought new Chrome Door paddles, rubber seals, etc.

Any trick to replacing the door paddles (outside handles)? Also looking for replacement parts for the butterfly windows (rubber seals, metal frame that it sets on to allow it to pivot)?

Any tricks on removing the glass window without tearing the door in two?

Any help appreciated.

Unread 05-04-2003, 10:37 PM   #2
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

btt

I want to know too. I' going to be rebuilding mine this summer.
Unread 05-04-2003, 11:36 PM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

To do a complete seal overhaul, you will need a total of 6 to 7 seals per door. These include: outer main seal (large one that goes around the whole door), inner and outer horizontal seals (where your arm rest when the window is down), forward glass edge seal, rear/top glass edge seal (the glass goes up and down in these seals/tracks), a vapor seal (thin plastic sheet that keeps water off the inner door panel) and the vent window seal. The problem is, I haven't seen just the vent window seal by itself. It comes as a whole unit. Unless your pivot post are rusted/broken, it should still be OK and reusable. AutoZone sells this flat , thin tool that removes the pin behind the window crank and the push tabs on the door panel. It's only a few bucks...meaning, get one. If you have trouble removing the crank and/or the panel....such as you pulled from the cardboard and not the pushtabs and ripped off a few of the plastic tabs.....just stop and take it to a window place. You will have more troubles ahead. If all is OK, the 2 "arm" seals are held in by a seriers of metal clips that push on a lip under them. I believe they push off toward the center. These are the hard ones. The vent window is not just the window, but a large triangle frame and the forward vertical track. There are phillips screws at the top of the door frame and a bolt or two toward the bottom off the forward track. The edge seals just pop out of their groove and the main glass is held in by 2 screws at the bottom of a plactic mount (bottom of glass). The paddle handles are a different challenge. Disconnect all linkages and there are two metal wedges that lock the paddle in places. They push up, but you may find them hard to remove as clearance at the top is the issue. I used a cotter pin tool to access the hole in them....helped a bunch. Heres the big secret: If you are using excessive force or bending things and they aren't comming off, your doing it wrong. Also get the right tools. I watched an idiot buddy of mine butcher his Wagoneer door using a butter knife!

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2003, 07:04 AM   #4
AbercrombieCJ7

Ed:

Thanks for the tips. I can find most of the replacement parts online except for the butterfly window seal. I am replacing mine due to the bottom pivot rusted.

Anyone have an idea where the butterfly window seal / pivot can be bought?

Mark
Unread 05-05-2003, 10:52 PM   #5
AbercrombieCJ7

Update

I have found out that the "Vent Window Frame" is pretty much no longer available for the"1986" CJ7. Here's the deal: The same butterfly fram was used in the yj 87-95 models with full metal doors/butterfly window. The part number(s) are: Drivers door (55176281) and passenger side (55176280). Mopar refers to them as "Left and Right" instead of "driver's and Passenger's side". Looks like I will have all my parts now for a "complete" door overhaul.

Thanks . .
Unread 05-07-2003, 10:10 AM   #6
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Yeah, it's kinda good as the late CJ and YJ doors are the same except the holes in the hinges for the mirrors. There was 2 CJ windows, non opening and venting...you can tell if the CJ has the original dash. If it's thick above the hold down knobs, it was either a non vented hard top model or a soft top, while the dash that tappers above the knobs is to allow clearence for the vented window to swing into. The YJ is the same window, different dash. Well, that good you found then. Were they expensive? Maybe someone will start making just the seal as well.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2003, 10:31 AM   #7
AbercrombieCJ7

Response

180.00 for the whole unit (including glass.
Unread 05-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

so, how'd it go?

Last edited by Alheim; 05-03-2011 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Alheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

This should help you out. I have it bookmarked for when I do mine.
Unread 05-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

I completely tore down and refurbished mine. Wasn't terribly difficult. Just have to go slowly and be careful with it. The worst part was the glass edge seals. The paddle handles can be a little tricky too if the wedges are stuck. A good sturdy hook and pick tool is good for pulling the wedges in or out by the hole.
sanddrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alheim View Post

so, how'd it go?

Are you serious, or is this a poor attempt at humor?

You bumped an 8 year old thread, asking how it went.

The OP's last forum activity was 12-21-2003.

Keep up the great work...

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Ahhh got sucked in to responding to a 8 year old thread someone else responded to. Thats what I get for trying to be helpfull.
Unread 05-04-2011, 05:57 AM   #13
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKT View Post
Are you serious, or is this a poor attempt at humor?

You bumped an 8 year old thread, asking how it went.

The OP's last forum activity was 12-21-2003.

Keep up the great work...
I know what I did. I've been a member of this board since 2002. I didn't check the OP's profile to see his last login, but sometimes the server notifies users of new posts via email, depending on their subscription settings. Slim chance, but who cares? Are you annoyed that I bumped an old thread? Maybe I should clutter the forum with new threads? Old threads are cool.

If you have nothing good to say, better to say nothing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Thanks, that is pretty much exactly what I was looking for when I decided to bump this old thread. Great thread with all of the photos. I've taken my door apart before, but it's been a long time, and I'm stoked to see the photos of one way to fix the rusted, loose door hoops, as well as the crack below the vent windows. Good idea to reinforce with 1/2" steel.

Last edited by Alheim; 05-04-2011 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: typo
Alheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #14
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alheim View Post

I know what I did.

Are you annoyed that I bumped an old thread?
Normally I am the one that is trying to introduce folks to the "Search" feature, but digging up an 8 year old thread by asking, "so how'd it go?" seems foolish - especially considering the fact that the OP hasn't been active on this forum for nearly the same amount of time.

Simply put: bumping an old thread to keep shared topics together is great, but maybe next time you should ask for more ideas, thread links, etc. from other forum members. Also a good idea to comment that you are bringing a thread back from the dead, jus' sayin - ya know?

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #15
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Calm down guys. This thread was very helpful for me and exactly what I was looking for before I made a new post about doors just 5 minutes ago. The link was great.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.