Fuel and temp gauges won't work... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel and temp gauges won't work...

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-13-2002, 06:09 PM   #1
Radon

Fuel and temp gauges won't work...

On my 1983 CJ-7 I'm having trouble keeping my feul and temp gauges working. I'm on my second speedometer cluster in less than a year and both gauges just went out again. First the temp. then the fuel. I still get an ohm reading just no movement on the gauges. Any ideas??? Both sending units are less than 2 years old.

Radon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2002, 08:41 PM   #2
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What brand of gauges and sending units did you use? After market? I bought aftermarket gauges and sending units a few months ago and am wondering if that was the way to go or not. The first fuel sending unit didn't even work the day I bought it. If mine don't last like yours, I'm going with OEM stuff next time.
Unread 12-15-2002, 01:10 PM   #3
Guy Hollister

Seen this plenty of times before...

you need .......

a torch...
a pipecleaner...
a bit of fine sandpaper...
a range of small nuts to fit the cluster bolts.

and an idea of what the cluster looks like behind - as this is your second cluster i presume you are aware of that.

Get in the driver seat... put your hand under the centre of the cluster... and find just under the bottom of the FUEL gauge first... as thats the first in line.

The contact is a rubber/plastic push on ... that pushes straight onto the threaded bolt that is the contact ... one for each gauge.

Pull off the fuel contact... wiggle it to remove it if its a bit tight... be carefull the recoil after you remove it doesn't mean you rip the wire out. Then get your torch point it into the contact and check its clean - use the pipecleaner if its not.

Its more than likely to be rust on the surface of the threaded bolt so attack it with your fine sandpaper... use the right fitting nut at the end of this process to clear any rust from the thread and thereby clean properly the thread for a good contact.

Replace the rubber contact and do the same on the temp gauge.

Turn the ignition on and start the jeep to get temp AND fuel readings... make sure you have some fuel in the tank !

Then push on the contacts TEMP first and make sure its got a solid connection - a few seconds of faffing about finding a good contact will give you the right idea. Then do the same for the Fuel... Job done...

Note... if the gauges flip out and go to full on ... turn off the jeep pretty quick... you don't want to burn them out... and pull off the contacts until you can get her home to repeat this process...

Phase two... is that both gauges are only isolated by some crappy cardboard which will be discoloured and ratty.... to replace this would be ideal but it needs you to pull the cluster out. Mine didn't need that and worked fine after i did this.

Guy
Unread 12-15-2002, 02:04 PM   #4
Radon

Guy, I went out and cleaned my contacts and screws. Still no response. When I check my leads from the respective sensors, I'm getting a reading on my OHM meter. Also the hot lead going into the back of the fuel side is reading about 11.5 volts. From time to time I get condensation in my speedometer cluster. mayby that caused them to short out??? I guess I'll just buy some after market gauges and mount them under the dash. It won't look great but I don,t know what else to do. Thanks anyway for your suggestions...
Radon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2002, 04:53 PM   #5
rednek

I had the same problem. I went with the aftermarket guages under the dash and they have been working for about 3 years now.
3" Body lift
4" suspension lift
37 x 13 x 15 Boggers
15 x 10 Soft 5 rims
2 1/2" spacers
8000 lb Warn upright
1/4 turn hubs
Headers
CD changer and casette player w/ Orion amp and 10" bass tube, 2 - surface mount waterproof highs and 2 - 6 x 9 waterproof speakers
KC takedowns w/ homemade window mounts
Lock'd Rear
Flatfendered
Custom confederate flag paint job and DIXIE air horn
rednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2002, 05:24 AM   #6
Guy Hollister

kung fu

g
Unread 12-18-2002, 07:59 AM   #7
FireMedic

Guage Cluster

I had/have the same problem... I replaced the entire cluster on my 80' CJ-7 a few years ago while restoring. Put a new sending unit in the tank and while reconnecting, I somehow put a hot lead to the guage, which smoked it. I have owned jeeps for 25 years and the wiring (in general) and guage connects SUCK.

I believe your best bet is after marker (which is what I did). If you end up doing a restoration, I highly recommend you replace the entire wiring harnass.

Good Luck!

Chris
FireMedic

REAL Medics in ACTION!!
FireMedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.