Fuel and Temp Gauges - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel and Temp Gauges

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-10-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
Gart79CJ

Fuel and Temp Gauges

The issue I've been having is that the Fuel and Temperature gauges are not working at all. I have a '79 CJ with '79 sending units on the engine and in the gas tank. The main gauge I think is from an 80's CJ (ebay purchase) and the engine is a '73 304 V8. I pulled a fresh wire from the sending unit to the gauge on the fuel side and there is continuity on the temperature gauge wire to sending unit. All gauges appear to have the proper wires on each gauge terminal compared to the wiring diagram but I still have no reaction from either gauge. Any ideas for what I can check for would be awesome. Thanks for all your help and considerations.

Gart79CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
mike360

I have been having the same problem you are on my 1981 cj7. Look at my post, and I found this page and it really helped a lot. http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...for_cj_gau.htm
mike360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2006, 11:59 PM   #3
johnny_d

I had a buddy who was having the same problem with his fuel gauge. Is the tank the original? If so, you might want to drop the tank and check the sending unit. His problem was that the float was rotted out, and not floating.. The actual sending unit was working fine, gauge too for that matter, but since the float wasn't floating it was always empty. Just a suggestion to check out.

~Johnny
johnny_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2006, 05:06 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike360
I have been having the same problem you are on my 1981 cj7. Look at my post, and I found this page and it really helped a lot. http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...for_cj_gau.htm
That link didn't work. Try this one.
Quick check CJ Gauges

Or this one:
Basic Troubleshooting CJ Gauges
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #5
Gart79CJ

Thanks guys. I'll take a look. The tank is new and so is the sending unit....I will try the links to see where they may take me.
Gart79CJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.