fuel tank vaper return ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > fuel tank vaper return ???

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
chris989604
1980 CJ7 

fuel tank vaper return ???

What is this really?? I know it is a vent, but is it necessary with the fuel return hose.

The green hose is not connected to anything under the hood, Zero smog equipment.

Would you just cap the lines at the tank or put a loop?? OR run the lines from the tank to the valve and forget the green line to the front?

Thanks Chris

chris989604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

The big can is a liquid check valve. There's a float inside that will close it off if it fills up. The small one is a rollover check valve. There's a ball inside that will close it off if flipped upside down.

The single line will go from the rollover valve to the charcoal canister in the engine compartment. That gets hooked into a vacuum source.

While not 100% necessary, it eliminates alot of fuel odors. My hose is just looped as you started, but I am planning on hooking everything up. I have all of the parts to do it, just need to make time.
I have a constant smell of gas around the Jeep, it get old after awhile.

The first step is to determine if the valves pictured actually work. The big one can be carefully opened up. It's just an O ring seal, a float inside, and thats about it. The smaller one can be visually checked, they usually rust apart, and blown through while flipping it to see if it works or not.
FWIW...neither part is readily available anymore. It takes some piecing of parts to make the setup work. If you remove them, don't toss them in the trash if they are good.
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
FWIW...neither part is readily available anymore.
Aha! Not entirely true - the big one (which is usually pretty serviceable) can't be found anywhere. The smaller one - the rollover valve - can be found at delorean.com. Yes, that Delorean. http://store.delorean.com/p-6703-roll-over-valve.aspx It's an exact fit
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Aha! Not entirely true - the big one (which is usually pretty serviceable) can't be found anywhere. The smaller one - the rollover valve - can be found at delorean.com. Yes, that Delorean. http://store.delorean.com/p-6703-roll-over-valve.aspx It's an exact fit
That's what I bought. For about $30. If they even still have any left.
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
That's what I bought. For about $30. If they even still have any left.
True, they have a limited supply of parts - all made for the original Delorean production run in the 80s and once they're gone, they're gone for good (unless you build your own Delorean and go back in time to buy them). The good news is they're made of plastic, unlike the original thin metal that rusts away like you mentioned. So hopefully they'll have a longer service life
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
Texian
1978 CJ7 

Thanks,just ordered one !
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #7
SJ85CJ7
1985 CJ7 

Now available on EBay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DMC-DeLorean...2cc567&vxp=mtr
85' CJ7, 258 I6, "Team Rush" Weber 38/MSD 6A, T-176 4-speed, twin-stick Dana 300, DANA 30 fore - AMC 20 aft with stock 2.73 gears, 31" tires, 8k winch, "Dirtworx" rear bumper/tire carrier. My Daily Drive, JustEmptyEveryPocket
SJ85CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #8
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

Just be sure if you do the loop to get a vented gas cap. You dont want the pressure to build up.
bdatkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.