Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

fuel tank vaper return ???

756 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bdatkins 
#1 ·
What is this really?? I know it is a vent, but is it necessary with the fuel return hose.

The green hose is not connected to anything under the hood, Zero smog equipment.

Would you just cap the lines at the tank or put a loop?? OR run the lines from the tank to the valve and forget the green line to the front?

Thanks Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
The big can is a liquid check valve. There's a float inside that will close it off if it fills up. The small one is a rollover check valve. There's a ball inside that will close it off if flipped upside down.

The single line will go from the rollover valve to the charcoal canister in the engine compartment. That gets hooked into a vacuum source.

While not 100% necessary, it eliminates alot of fuel odors. My hose is just looped as you started, but I am planning on hooking everything up. I have all of the parts to do it, just need to make time.
I have a constant smell of gas around the Jeep, it get old after awhile.

The first step is to determine if the valves pictured actually work. The big one can be carefully opened up. It's just an O ring seal, a float inside, and thats about it. The smaller one can be visually checked, they usually rust apart, and blown through while flipping it to see if it works or not.
FWIW...neither part is readily available anymore. It takes some piecing of parts to make the setup work. If you remove them, don't toss them in the trash if they are good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.