Fuel Tank Install Tips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel Tank Install Tips

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-08-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
fireman77

Fuel Tank Install Tips

any tips on installing a new tank on a 1977 cj5. also, my fuel gauge has never worked, can i wire the new sending unit directly to a new gauge, will that work at all?
any help, would help
ROLL TIDE

fireman77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2005, 09:17 PM   #2
jeepduo
1978 CJ7 

I am also to the point of putting my tank back on. any pics of a 78 CJ7?
Unread 09-09-2005, 04:47 AM   #3
Thomas.Pedersen

Try this

http://www.troublecodes.net/articles/jeepfueltank/
Thomas.Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2005, 09:48 AM   #4
Geer_hed

Piece of cake. This thread has some good advice, but it's really pretty straightforward. That's a good writeup BTW...

You definitely want a new sending unit with a new collection tube filter while you've already got the tank out. The new sending unit won't necessarily correct the gauge issue. HOWEVER, do not hook up current to the sending unit without hooking up the Ground wire first! You will cook your sending unit and that will just suck. The gauge issue is another thread for another day, right?

Best advice one could really offer here is get that thing as close to empty as possible before attempting to remove it and use a jack so it can be lowered a little bit at a time, some of those hoses will hang up and you can't get to them immediately. Otherwise, just put it back the way ya found it, ya know?
Unread 09-09-2005, 10:20 AM   #5
asoude1

i dropped my fuel tank about a month ago. it is very easy, the only part that was remotely hard was reconnecting the hose to the filler neck. and definately change out your sending unit. now the gauge issue. my gauge on my spedo never worked either. the guy that had it before me put a new gauge in it. but he didnt know what he was doing. all you need is a gauge that has 3 prongs on the back. one should be for positive, the other for ground, and the third for the wire that comes from the sending unit. if you want to check to see if your original gauge works though there is a really easy way. connect the positive to a 12v source and connect both the ground and the sending unit wire to ground. when you do this the gauge should move towards full. if that happens then the gauge still works.
if you have anymore questions just pm me.
asoude1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.