Fuel Tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel Tank

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
mtnsammy
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Fuel Tank

I dropped my tank after an evap test for smogg. Fuel was gushing out from the top. It passed the first time but I went off road playing on the rocks and something went pop.

Short version small tube on sending unit broke off and all the hoses look like sponges. I am suprised I could hold any fuel at all. Inside the tank is the usual scales and rust. POR 15 will repair the stock tank at about $50 new sending unit $30.

Question?? Should I replace the tank with 21 gallon aftermarket or 15 gallon? $119 for steel $339 for poly-15 still looking for 21 gallon poly.

This rig is great on the rocks but I am only lifted 2-3 inches now with 31 inch tires.

mtnsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
string
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsammy View Post
I dropped my tank after an evap test for smogg. Fuel was gushing out from the top. It passed the first time but I went off road playing on the rocks and something went pop.

Short version small tube on sending unit broke off and all the hoses look like sponges. I am suprised I could hold any fuel at all. Inside the tank is the usual scales and rust. POR 15 will repair the stock tank at about $50 new sending unit $30.

Question?? Should I replace the tank with 21 gallon aftermarket or 15 gallon? $119 for steel $339 for poly-15 still looking for 21 gallon poly.

This rig is great on the rocks but I am only lifted 2-3 inches now with 31 inch tires.
I replaceed my stock 15 Gal steel tank, with poly 21 Gal, almost two years ago, I have found that I have to think less about my remaining fuel since. so that means longer trips!!

last year I repalcesd my fuel tank skidplate as I hit it hard one time and found that rust was slowly eating it. I sitll havent had any problems with the poly tank.
string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
Rob55
1984 CJ7 

I replaced my 15 with the OEM 21 gallon tank (not the aftermarket 21 gallon tank) to keep my ground clearance. The 21 gallon aftermarket hangs down about 4 inches lower than the 15 gallon. I also picked up a 4x Doctor skid plate for it that is incredible. The 21 OEM units are a bit harder to find but they are out there. (They fill the entire area between the leaf springs/fram rails rather than hang down further to get the capacity). Hope this helps. Either way poly is a the best way to go, if you have a good skid plate.
1984 CJ7, 258, MPI, 4.0 head, Borla, 700r4, amc20 (detroit), Dana 30 (OX), 4.56 gears, Warn Hubs, Dana 300 with 4:1, 4.5 RE lift with 1" body, Bilsteins, dual battery, PS, PB, full cage, two dogs in the back....
Rob55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.