Fuel system questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel system questions

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
MI_Redneck
1982 CJ8 

Fuel system questions

Hello all, I'm a newbie to Jeep CJ's and this forum. Just bought a Jeep CJ8 sight unseen and has a few more problems than the online ad disclosed. First problem is that is won't start, but I'll fix that. As I was messing with the fuel system I found this module back by the right hand taillight. I'm guessing part of the fuel vapor recovery system. Pretty bad shape, all rusted up with the hoses broken off. What is it and do I need it? Would that be part of my no start problem?

MI_Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
John N
1981 CJ8 

I don't know what's on the right side, but on the left side there is a vapor recovery item and a roll over valve. Hoses go from the gas tank and to the charcoal canister under the hood.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
MI_Redneck
1982 CJ8 

You're right, I was thinking left side and wrote right side. Can't seem to escape this early onset Alzheimers. Are those rollover check valves and liquid check valves critical to anything? Or should I just bypass the whole thing? It doesn't appear that either of those parts are readily available, so I'm guessing that anyone who is re-doing their Jeep CJ is just eliminating that stuff in the rebuild. My rollover check valve is crumbling and needs to be replaced or bypassed.
MI_Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Jbwardfamily
1978 CJ5 

I got rid of all of mine when I upgraded to the Howell TBI. I think they were more for emissions than function. Not quite sure if they are needed but mine is working fine without them.
Jbwardfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

It will run fine without them. You can simply loop a piece of hose from one nipple on the tank to the other nipple.
But you will need to vent the tank.... a vented gas cap works.

It's best to have the recovery system hooked up to recover gas fumes, but for now your concern is to get it running.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.