fuel starved - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > fuel starved

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
lastseen
1984 CJ7 

fuel starved

A few weeks ago some numb ***** make a panic turn in front of me. I hit the binders rather briskly. A few minutes later my never fail cj7 puked out on me.
After cranking and cranking. Pumping and puming she fired up and we went home. Ever since she hestitates something awfull from time to time. Other wise
runs great. I have a feeling I kicked some junk off the bottom of the fuel tank and gumbed up the filter in there. I've replaced the old electric fuel pump that ran thru the mechanical pump. Lined it direct to the 3 psi holey regulator that weber suggest.
Everything was fine before the panic stop. What say you fella's. Drop the tank??

Unread 08-09-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
KMD
1976 CJ7 

do you have power brakes? If so booster could be leaking vacuum.
Unread 08-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #3
lastseen
1984 CJ7 

Robert

Nope. No power brakes. Checked the vacumm advance best I could. Runs straight from base of weber carb to distributer. It would be very odd for the vacumm advance or carb to go out right after the massive panic stop.
My jeep was a desert clunker for years. Just bet ya It's the sock in the tank.
Thanks for the input.
Lastseen
Unread 08-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
KMD
1976 CJ7 

After you drop the tank pull the top of the carb off and check for dirt in there. apiece of dirt could have got lodged under the inlet needle. also check to see if the float level is good and it is not full of fuel. Best of luck bro.
Unread 08-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
KMD
1976 CJ7 

ps I hate it when people make you stab the brake pedal in your Jeep or think it is cool to race up behind you. I bet if they ever drove a short wheel base vehicle they would respect us and our space a lot more.
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
lastseen
1984 CJ7 

Thanks. I had this same problem on an 94 olds 3.8. Turned out to be the sock in the tank. I'd be cruising along and sputter, sputter, die. Ordered the assembly from 4wd.com for 32 bucks. Will drop tank and install.
Will check for crud after that but with two filters between tank and carb it's a longer shot than the sock. Sock has been in thar since 83. Time ta go don't cha know.
Thanks again.
Unread 08-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
lastseen
1984 CJ7 

Dropped tank

Finished dropping tank. Replaced fuel sender. Old on was bad. Didn't register fuel level correctly . Sock was gone. Nohing but plastic center piece left for sock. Breather line nipple rusted and spinning means tank was sucking air. Breather tube to filler neck cracked. Replaced all lines. Runs like a new one.
After market rear bumper with hitch receiver and rusted out bolts/nuts made job more than interesting but, she runs great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.