Fuel/Starting Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel/Starting Problem

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 09-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
SandersCJ7

Fuel/Starting Problem

I have a 78 CJ7 Golden Eagle with the 304 that I bought from a man about a year ago. He had put a new battery, distributor, plugs, wires, filters etc on it. I drove it for a few months then had the jeep body work done last winter. Got it out of the body shop and drove it a few weeks. I had recently had the timing set but it was still having problems missing. I assumed trash in the carb or fuel tank as it had sat a while. While driving down a back road about 35 it spit and sputtered and quit. I could not get it to restart and while cranking on it it would puff vapors from the carb and on certain rotations the motor would lock down until I let it sit a moment. When loading it on the trailer liquid fuel (I assume) flowed out of the exhaust. I'm assuming a quart at most. I have let it sit up a while and now have started piddling with it again. The plugs wires are getting fire (the two I checked) and it sputtered once but will not start. Any suggestions on where to start? I recently bought an Auto Parts store so Im ready to get some things replaced and get it up and running for the fall.

SandersCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
SandersCJ7

Carb

Forgot to mention it appears to have the Motorcraft 2105 carb.
Unread 09-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

A quart of fuel would be a LOT.

Could it have been water???? If water, did it look like coolant or rain water?

It could be that you have a major water leak. Have you checked the collant level?

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandersCJ7
I have a 78 CJ7 Golden Eagle with the 304 that I bought from a man about a year ago. He had put a new battery, distributor, plugs, wires, filters etc on it. I drove it for a few months then had the jeep body work done last winter. Got it out of the body shop and drove it a few weeks. I had recently had the timing set but it was still having problems missing. I assumed trash in the carb or fuel tank as it had sat a while. While driving down a back road about 35 it spit and sputtered and quit. I could not get it to restart and while cranking on it it would puff vapors from the carb and on certain rotations the motor would lock down until I let it sit a moment. When loading it on the trailer liquid fuel (I assume) flowed out of the exhaust. I'm assuming a quart at most. I have let it sit up a while and now have started piddling with it again. The plugs wires are getting fire (the two I checked) and it sputtered once but will not start. Any suggestions on where to start? I recently bought an Auto Parts store so Im ready to get some things replaced and get it up and running for the fall.
Have you checked to make sure your fuel pump is getting fuel? Do you have a fuel filter with 2 hoses coming out, 1 going to carb and 1 to the gas tank? If so, do you have the line going to the tank on top of the line going to the carb?

I would also check the plug wires to make sure they aren't accidentally crossed and they are all tight
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

1. Fuel - Confirm fuel is getting to the carb.

2. Air - Confirm the choke is functioning properly.

3. Spark - Confirm you have spark at the plugs while cranking.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
SandersCJ7

I my memory serves I went back and looked and it was defiantly fuel....however, I was having some problems with it getting hot before I parked it and looking in the radiator yesterday it appears I have lost some coolant....I'll examine it more today....

I pulled the fuel filter, which does have three lines, and it was bone dry.
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Pull the oil dip stick and look for signs of fuel or water. Pull the radiator cap off and check for oil in the coolant.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

Pull the fuel line off of the carb and have someone crank it over while you watch to see if you have a good stream of fuel coming from the fuel pump.
Unread 10-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
SandersCJ7

Well I didn't see any water in the oil, or oil in the radiator....battery is low so I didn't get a good crank on it to check the fuel pump....this weekend I'm gonna drain the oil pan and charge the battery....I should no more then.
Unread 10-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
SandersCJ7

Well I pulled a plug and it appears it has water in the cylinder....plug is rusted....
Unread 10-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Bummer...sorry to hear that.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.