Fuel sender connection, push-on or bolt on fitting? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel sender connection, push-on or bolt on fitting?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 05-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
1983 CJ7 

Fuel sender connection, push-on or bolt on fitting?

I am pretty sure I have the original push on fitting for my fuel sending unit but I think a brass washers, a nylon lock nut and dialetic grease would be more secure.

If you have changed the sending unit, did you use the stock connector or improvise?

Unread 05-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

I sprayed contact cleaner in the old connector and pressed it on. It works fine.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I think mine has an eyelet crimped/soldered/heatshrinked on the wire, and a S.S nut and lock washer with a glob of dielectric grease on it before and after it was assembled.. I had also done the same with a piece of wire I soldered the spade connector to the tab for the new sender's ground, which I ran up to a good ground connection near the battery.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

There is usually a push on type spade connector on the sender, that if for a ground wire.
If you are smart, you will solder that spade connector to the tab, heat shrink the connection.

I usually solder the ground down, heat shrink the connection, then put a connector out from under the top of the tank, over by the roll over valve so if I need to drop the tank in the future, I just unplug the ground connection and let the tank drop.

The senders I've worked with usually have a ring terminal for the sending unit 'Power' side.
Same thing here, with a short length of wire you can attach to the connector for the sending unit, then have a second connector out from the tank.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.