fuel pump pressure test - 1985 AMC150 - how? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > fuel pump pressure test - 1985 AMC150 - how?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
VanHermanator
1985 CJ7 

fuel pump pressure test - 1985 AMC150 - how?

I suspect my fuel pump may be bad. I've got a pressure testing gauge. Is there a test port on a stock setup for 1985 with Carter YFA and AMC150? It seems like I'll need to install a temporary t-fitting because I can't find it. Thanks - Mark.

VanHermanator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

just use a piece of rubber hose and unhook the line from the carb.
Slip on the rubber line on the end of the fuel line and crank it over
and see what your pressure is.
Could also just put the end of the hose in a coke bottle and
crank it over and watch how much its flowing.
Pretty simple check.
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
VanHermanator
1985 CJ7 

Thanks. I've confirmed the pump is working, but suspect it's not pumping enough pressure as it 'cuts out' upon full throttle. Before I start in on the electrical system, this is my last fuel system test. I thought that it had to be running to test for adequate pressure?
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Fuel filter good? A plugged filter will start to starve an engine under load.. full throttle, going up hill...etc. Mechanical fuel filters generally work or they don't.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
VanHermanator
1985 CJ7 

I expect so. I swapped it out too, and made sure that the outlet line back to tank was on top. It idles fine, but upon full throttle it chokes and will die unless I let up. Checked for vacuum leaks and can't find any. I just had the carb professionally rebuilt so I expect it's good. At this point all I can think of before changing distributor, coil is confirming that the fuel pump is good. I would have figured it to be a yes/no thing too, but some of the forums talk about bad ones from the store. As I also recently replaced mine I figured I'd rule that out too.
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

What caused you to have the carb rebuilt? Was it doing the same thing before the carb was rebuilt.. or did it start after the rebuilt carb was reinstalled?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

how much pressure did you have?
Carbs generally only need 5 to 7 psi, and your good.
If its starving for fuel at higher RPMs you could have a weak
spring in the fuel pump and its actually floating on the cam,
much like a valve float, but to be honest I've never seen it
happen....
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
VanHermanator
1985 CJ7 

Just bought the Jeep last year and it had not run for a couple of years, so after draining the fuel, replacing the fuel pump and filter, it still wouldn't start up, other than briefly when I sprayed carb-start down the throat. She fired up straight away after the rebuild which made me pretty happy. It's only got 140,000 kms on it btw. Pretty nice find! Anyways, now I just can't give it a good amount of gas without bogging down and sputtering. Not sure what else to check other than starting into the electrical. The fuel pump test seemed pretty easy until I couldn't find a test port. Am I destined to look into the electrical system now? Thanks for your replies.
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like the accelerator pump is not moving enough fuel from what you just described.
Try opening the throttle very slowly so the venturis have time to react to increase in flow.
If you can do this, and it is smooth, now look in the carb and see if you have two streams
of gas squirting when you open the throttle by hand.
If not you have an accelerator pump issue in the carb.
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I had a brand spanking new Fram fuel filter that wouldn't let me get over about 1,200 RPM one time. Dropped in a NAPA Gold filter, and it ran fine.
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
VanHermanator
1985 CJ7 

I finally got back to this. I can definitely get the revs up with slow, steady throttle. It's when I punch it that it wants to stall. Does that mean the accelerator pump is OK? I can see the fuel mist in the chamber when I floor it when not running. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go ahead and replace my distributor to rule that out?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.