Fuel pump hose fitting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel pump hose fitting

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 12-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Shinook
1979 CJ7 

Fuel pump hose fitting

I just replaced our mechanical fuel pump and had a bit of a leaking issue.

The fuel pump has the inlet from the tank on one side (a fixed fitting) and an area for the output (to the carb) that is threaded, which should receive some kind of hose fitting. The old pump had a hose fitting on it that I unscrewed, cleaned, then bolted onto the fuel pump's output. The problem is, it leaks.

I read that teflon tape is a no-no here because it'll dissolve in the fuel and end up in your carb, but the pump leaks when screwed in. I also read somewhere it's a compression fitting and needs to be fairly tight, so I was wondering if there is a torque spec I can use to figure out how tight it should be. I tightened it down pretty good and it stopped the leak, but I'm afraid it'll resurface as everything heats up and vibrates loose.

So should this fitting have some kind of sealant on it? How much torque should be on it?

Thanks!

Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

I'm not a plumber but it is my understanding that teflon tape is not a sealant. It is used to lubricate pipe threads.
You could have a crack in the flare but if you have tightened it to the point that it doesn't leak, call it good but check it often.
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Shinook
1979 CJ7 

I also meant to note that the fuel is coming out of the threads between the flared fitting and the pump, the fuel hose itself is fine. There aren't leaks anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
You could have a crack in the flare but if you have tightened it to the point that it doesn't leak, call it good but check it often.
You mean a crack in the fuel hose or the flared fitting on the fuel pump? Regardless, neither seem to be cracked, that I can tell anyway.
Unread 12-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

The flare can be cracked if over tightened. Is it still leaking? Check with your local auto parts store for short, preflared fuel line of the correct diameter. Cracks on the flared end can be hard to see, it doesn't take much.
Unread 12-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Shinook
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
The flare can be cracked if over tightened. Is it still leaking? Check with your local auto parts store for short, preflared fuel line of the correct diameter. Cracks on the flared end can be hard to see, it doesn't take much.
It's definitely not that, the hoses are brand new and I was able to watch the fuel coming out from around the fitting base/threads (as opposed to the hoses).

It still isn't leaking again, maybe it just needed to be tightened more? I assumed there would have to be some kind of seal on it though.
Unread 12-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

The flare fitting IS the seal. The threads only provide a way to tighten it.
Unread 12-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Shinook
1979 CJ7 

Ok, I think I was confused. Either way, it's tightened down and not leaking.

Thanks for the help.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.