Fuel Pump Help.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel Pump Help..

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
studer21
1985 CJ7 

Fuel Pump Help..

Hi, I have been having issues ever since I purchased my CJ a couple years ago with my fuel pump. It is an electric fuel pump- Walbro I think. Anyway, it works fine all of the time unless I ever drive it at 3/4 to full throttle. The pump will stay on until I cut the jeep off. Whenever I try to restart after a scenario like that- most of the time the fuel pump doesn't cut on. I will sometimes wait an hour, or up to 5 days. Somehow, it will decide to work again and be fine until I give it 3/4 to full throttle. Really strange! I tried relieving the pressure thinking that was it for sure, nope. I have a feeling it may be voltage related or the fuel pump is just very finicky, possibly something wrong internally. I would love to get some feedback from somebody that has dealt with this or has a possible fix. Thank you guys

Unread 08-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
studer21
1985 CJ7 

I also have the MPI kit on- so it is fuel injected. Maybe the throttle position switch is malfunctioning? Just a thought I had, thanks guys
Unread 08-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How much fuel pressure are you running? How much is your injection system supposed to have? That is necessary information to solve this problem. Have you put a voltmeter on the wires going to your fuel pump? Have you contacted the manufacturer about this issue? Maybe about what are the "electrical specs" for this particular fuel pump... If all else checks out, and the wiring is good and getting the proper volts/amps, change the fuel pump because it must be internal. But the manufacturer will be able to tell you if it is or not.

Did the jeep come with the MPI? I am assuming by what you wrote, no. Let me know.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

have you got a fuel pump relay? What is it doing during this episode?

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.