Fuel Pump Anger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel Pump Anger

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-22-2003, 07:58 AM   #1
kev1

Fuel Pump Anger

Ok
I bought this 258 Long Block, it is supose to be 1981+ block, and the date code on the block is 305C24, so I can believe that is a 1983 258 build on May the 24th.

I have now tried three different fuel pumps, and non work. I first went to autozone and they gave me a 6737 part number and it appeared the arm was too long and I could not get the bolt holes to line up. I took it back and they pulled out another one that was identical. So I gave up on them.

I went to carquest and got the same 6737 number and got the same pump and I cannot get it installed, the same problem. I called a Jeep dealer got the original part number called carquest and it crosses to the same number they gave me in the first place.

They say that the 258 from years 72 to 86 inclusive, calls for the same pump.

Now, my questions:

Anyone ever experience this?
Do I not know how to install a fuel pump?
Is there a trick?

My service manual shows a different pump. I looks like it is mounted so the fuel lines connect what I call to the top, or closer to the Valve Cover. The one I keep getting hangs down toward the oil pan. I am replacing a 151 so I am building from scratch. I hope all of you can help me!!!

http://www.eacci.com/framelift.gif

Frame painted with a Rough Country 2.5" lift and shocks installed.
Alot of money spent on parts that are all over including a new 258.
kev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2003, 08:14 AM   #2
Scramblin_Man

Kev,
Try turning the motor a little so the fuel pump concentric is at a different place. This way the spring in the fuel pump won't be compressed making it easier to put the bolts in. Do you understand? It's hard to expain....

Scramblin_Man
Scramblin_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2003, 08:33 AM   #3
kev1

CORRECTION

The part number is 6736 that they keep giving me.

Unread 03-22-2003, 08:35 AM   #4
kev1

Scramblin_Man,

I have, it is very easy to do since it is on an engine stand without the oil pan on it. It is at it's lowest point and the arm still won't let it go in.

I have even tried it at the highest point.

Unread 03-22-2003, 09:52 AM   #5
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Kev

Hit the scrap pile and look for a 258 and pull the fuel pump, not to use, just to have in hand when hitting the parts stores. Also, ask around for those who have done the MPI kit, since the pump gets replaced. Someone may have one laying around . . . although it likely went straight from the block to the trash. Sorry I don't have one.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.