Fuel pressure regulator? 4.2 with Weber - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel pressure regulator? 4.2 with Weber

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #16
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Quick edit: This assumes that the op is running a true Weber. If not, the needle and seat may be different and I could be wrong. For you genuine Weber guys, my conversation with Weber still applies.

Last edited by swatson454; 01-04-2010 at 11:58 PM..
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #17
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
Actually, I had a long conversation with Weber about this very thing. The reason that they recommend the regulator and no more than 3.5 psi is because the needle and seat assemblies that are factory installed aren't really up to snuff. If you choose to use the factory installed needle and seat, then the regulator is pretty much a given.
Quote:
I got both from Carbsunlimited.com.

Quote:
Quick edit: This assumes that the op is running a true Weber. If not, the needle and seat may be different and I could be wrong. For you genuine Weber guys, my conversation with Weber still applies.

Just a little clarification.... All carbs weber or other need to have the fuel pressure delivered to what the specs are on the carb. This is common and done on a regular basis. Just like the fuel pumps for fuel injection run different ranges than fuel pumps for carbs. For that matter you could get a electric fuel pump that pumps the press range needed for the Weber 3-3.5 max.

We should also know Mr Swatson has his Weber 38 for a week or so and is brand new to his Weber 38 Carb, jeep cj, and this new needle material. Usually rich conditions and problems take a few wks to show up from what I have seen with webers. The weber 38 is also a very different beast/carb than the progressive carbs most of us will sellect for a stock or header/ignition msd mod CJ that is so typical.

Carbs Unlimited is a reseller of Weber and is not the weber factory. Weber uses stock distributors here in the US/N America. Looks like from their web site they are a reseller of Redline one of the many importers for the US market.

I know the Holley Regulator works, works well, is a dead head type of regulator (vs flowing type) meaning it is meant to use with out a return line. The cost is only $30 and yey is more than the $14 seat but it is proven and works. There are so many opinions on the WEber carbs it is hard to say what is a good suggestion and what is not. There are easyly 10 Weber help threads going on at this very moment.

Weber carbs work very well in my opinion.. 32/36, 34/34 are the most common for 258. This noise about Weber, Solex, Geniune WEber is a bunch of noise in my mind. The weber 34 ran well out of box, ran better with jeep tweeked, and with correct jets it ran even better. WE HAVE TO FACE THE FACT...... our jeeps have many issues... grounds, ignition, manifolds leaks, carb leaks, 35 years old, poor compression, 100k miles, and list is long. Unless you old girl is tricked out, and bugs fixed, it will be hard to get all the performance and mileage out of a modern progressive two barrel carb.

I will also say from experience.... you can run the Weber fat and get more pep when you hit the gas, or you can run leaner and get the max fuel mileage.
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #18
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

That information came directly from the man who writes the Set-Up Procedures that we all receive in the box with our new carburators and is valid even if I had never seen a carburator before, which is certainly not the case.

Shawn
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #19
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
That information came directly from the man who writes the Set-Up Procedures that we all receive in the box with our new carburators and is valid even if I had never seen a carburator before, which is certainly not the case.
Just to confirm... you spoke to a Tech Rep at Carbs Unlimited?? If you would not mind could you confirm? IF not correct maybe tell me who and what company you spoke to??

I am under the impression the IMPORTERS write some of the instruction material in the carb box, not 100% sure but this has been my assumption. I have also seen several of the inst sheets with the Weber Carbs they are nothing fantastic. Thats part of the reason there are problems and confusion with Weber on our 35 year old cjs. The FACTORY does offer a WEBER TUNE BOOK for purchase and I have heard good things about that and have a few pages from it. That info is very detailed and kinda shame they do not publish that information with the carb box. That is the only documentation on detailed info on set up and tune and trouble shooting from the "factory".

AS EXAMPLE... the tune thread I wrote is much more detailed than the carb box info. The tune documents via links are much more detailed than the carb box info i have seen.
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #20
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Sure, I'll clarify. I don't typically bother speaking to distributors. If I understand things correctly, Weber Redline WorldPac is THE importer for all Genuine Weber carbs from Spain so that's where I went.

I obviously can't vouch for any printed material or recommendations being offered by the many various distributors that ship the knock-offs so my post about the needle may not apply, although I bet it does.
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #21
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

I hate to be the one to break the bad news, but REAL Webers don't come from Spain! They come from Italy!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #22
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Sure, I'll clarify. I don't typically bother speaking to distributors. If I understand things correctly, Weber Redline WorldPac is THE importer for all Genuine Weber carbs from Spain so that's where I went.

I obviously can't vouch for any printed material or recommendations being offered by the many various distributors that ship the knock-offs so my post about the needle may not apply, although I bet it does.
Mr Swatson...

Redline is ONE of the importers to the US. I know of atleast 2-3 that IMPORT service the US and there are most likely others.

Then there is a longer list of resellers but not sure if they import... Like summit, quatratec etc

WEBER North America
The importer that sells and stock the Weber 34 also sells the 32/36 and all the other WEber carbs... Hats off to him for putting money on the line to stock the wider selection of Carbs and parts. Weber North America also known as WeberCarbsDirect.com. I was very please with the assitance and product I got from these folks and posted it on my Weber 34 Tune Thread. Just like I have said several times in past week... if the Weber 34 did not work why sell it?>???? They are all about $300 so why sell it if it does now work well and supply a carb where the primary is bigger and not that much of a jump to secondary. I hardly ever get into my secondary. But really why carry both, why the same price.

CJChet,
Weber was made in italy and has move their production to Spain. The mother company of Weber and Solex is now the same too. So now they are sister companies from what I read. By the way solex has made some pretty famous carbs and one of them was used on the Jeep if I remember right.

I see just as many posts trying to get 32/36 to work as the 34 to work. They seem to be the most common carb for 258. We all know there are lots of issues and failures on our 35 yr old jeeps. The issues need to be addressed before we can put a hopped up carb on a tractor engine and expect it to work perfect, esp when many of use have well over 100k on our engines.

I get a kick out of this Genuine Weber thing and think it nothing but a bunch of noise. Usually when I do see the Genuiine Weber on web I also see Redline..... interesting because they do not sell the Weber 34 or they might be refering to the EMPI Copy that is made in China. AS for the Weber 34 There have been a lot of believers in the past year. In the next year there will be even more. I predicted this a year ago too when I started the WEber 34 tune thread.

All I can say my Weber 34 runs great... I have others that say same thing, lots of them

Here is my CJ 7 video and I did all the work myself, purchased a long block. When you see 4k rpms in second that is 66 mph and it gets there quick. I can do 66 in second and many jeeps cannot do 60 in high gear. This is a t18 granny a truck trans and is not suppose to shift well keep that in mind too when you look. It shift pretty well on that Napa GL4. It pulls steady from 650 to 4400 rpms and I can cruise at 70 like nothing. This summer we went 4 hrs north, wheeled for 4 days and 4 hrs back at 65 mph not a hick up. Pretty good for 32 yrs old. Call it solex, call knock off, call it a Weber 34..... CALL IT STELLAR. I would guess very few CJ on this forum run this well with 33x12.5 tires, 3.54 axles, and 3 SPEED for road use.... not a 4 or 5 a 3 speed road.

VIDEO of the Idle at 700 rpms, and put a glass of water on the valve cover and it stays there. My neighbor that helped me later said I should have reved the engine to see if glass stayed there. Maybe next time, if I have help to catch the glass, hard to work the throttle and catch the glass.

http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=DSCN2057.flv

VIDEO of the CJ going thru the gears I. Second hit 4000 rpms and the speedo says 50 mph, speedo is off and sometimes does not read speed . At 4000 rpms calculator say like 65+. Notice the time only takes a few seconds to get to there. ON the hwy I can cruise at 70 mph or so easy. The BEST GEAR CALCULATOR on web is back.... so the CJ in 2nd is going 66 mph at 4000 rpms. Not too shabby.

http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=DSCN2062.flv

Anyway hope this helps the Folks here on JeepForum.

Regards,
Fred

Last edited by Fjguercio; 01-06-2010 at 01:43 AM..
Unread 01-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #23
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I've recently seen the printed material that comes with a 34DGEC and I can see where it can lead guys down the wrong path. First, after 7 or 8 pages, there was no mention of the name Weber. Second, there was no mention of baseline setting extremes. It basically said to set the idle speed where ever you like it and adjust the mixture screws to lean-best idle. In my opinion, grossly inadequate!

The install sheet supplied with the Italian-designed Webers, while fairly basic as well, do provide setting absolutes and give clear instructions on what to do should those base settings be exceeded.

Without that material, a first-time installer wouldn't know what to do if his carb seemed rich or if his mixture screws turned all the way in or out with no real effect on idle. I think that's a main reason why there are so many "rich" "Weber" threads on here. Also, without a good grasp of the idle circuit and how it differs between an Italian-designed Weber and some of the more common "american" carbs a person would be more likely to conclude that the next step would be to dive in and start leaning out his run jets. A properly set up Weber can operate clear up to nearly 2/3 throttle without a main or run jet.

To address the ops question about possible damage without the regulator, the only damage you may end up with will be to the needle/seat assembly. The brass on brass design that it's assembled with will begin to fail as it's contact point "flutters" with each pulse of the fuel pump. The dampening effect of the regulator plays as big of a role in the operation of that brass contact set-up as does the fuel pressure itself. That's why it was recommended that the upgraded needle and seat be purchased.

Hope it helps

Shawn
Unread 01-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #24
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio View Post
CJChet,
Weber was made in italy and has move their production to Spain. The mother company of Weber and Solex is now the same too. So now they are sister companies from what I read. By the way solex has made some pretty famous carbs and one of them was used on the Jeep if I remember right.
You are absolutely right sir! I found that Weber is now owned by "Magneti Marelli Powertrain" in Madrid, Spain which is part of, guess what, the FIAT group!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #25
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Actually, I had a long conversation with Weber about this very thing. The reason that they recommend the regulator and no more than 3.5 psi is because the needle and seat assemblies that are factory installed aren't really up to snuff. If you choose to use the factory installed needle and seat, then the regulator is pretty much a given.

The alternative is to purchase the "good" assembly that will handle anything that a factor Jeep pump can produce. It's cost of $14 vs the cost and often headache of the regulator seemed like a wise investment to me. I'm running the good assembly with no regulator and have had no issues at all.

As you can see, the one on the right has a much better chance of sealing and a much lessor chance of failing prematurely.

Shawn

Researched this a bit in the last few days. This NEEDLE..... is a product of APT and is NOT A GENUINE WEBER PART....... READ THAT NOT A GENIUNE WEBER PART. This also has a limitation two fold.

1.. The WEBER's spring loaded seat that helps in bumpy off road conditions is now gone... so off road performance may suffer a great deal.

2.. Rubber Seat Type material dries out and needs to be replaced on a regular pm. So this should also be tanken into consideration. Thus the $14 needed ever 2 yrs or so may not be that good a bargan anymore.

GENUINE WEBER COMMNET.... some folks and the REDLINE one importer likes to use this. They just sell the 32/36 Weber and the other large importes Sells ALL the WEBERS. So the only time you see this is with REDLINE advertising. You will also see a REDLINE distributor, RaceTep, go sued by Magneti for using the Weber Name in US and can no longer do so. Google it.

Do you think Weber North America could use the name for their own or use the Weber 34 and call it a weber 34 an not be sued also??? That alone should be poof enough to put this to rest.

Weber 34 is a weber design made by Solex and both Solex and Weber name owned by same mother company. If not they would be sued too.

EMPI is a China copy and is lower quality from what I read. Never had my hands on one.. no interest. They do not use the Weber name but the parts are interchangable partialy at least. So do not confuse that, EMPI, with the GENUINE WEBER 34.

Weber company has been around since 1920 and Solex is their largest competitor in Europe for over 60 years. They are both use often by some of the largest companies and well respected auto companies in the world. Magnetti Marellis Power Train has purchased them both now and the weber company is gone.... only the name remains. Soles makes two weber designs to fill in the venturie jumps with more selection. They are the SAME PRICE and offered by the SAME WEBER DISTRIBUTORS. When you look at cross sections they work very very similar. Not sure why they do not have the casting mark... but maybe when the castings are worn out they will ... big deal.

SAME DSTRIBUTOR SELLS ALL THE WEBERS
Weber 34 is the same price as other Webers
Solex is one of the largest carb suppliers in Europe
Weber is one of the largest carb suppliers in Europe
Magnetti Marelli Power Train is HUGE. 7 billion pounds in sales.\
This huge company does not sell junk,,, their customer list is impressive.

It looks like the WEber and Solex carbs are made in Spain, Brazil, Argentina, France. This is a large multinational now.
Unread 01-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #26
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

MAGNETI MARELLI BUSINESS LINES PROFILE
Magneti Marelli Electronic Systems

Magneti Marelli Electronic Systems is the division based in Corbetta (Milan, Italy), which deals with automotive electronics. It has 6 production sites, 3 research centres and 5 application centres in Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Mexico and China. It currently operates in three areas: instrument clusters, body electronics and telematics.
Instrument clusters
The traditional business of this division, the instrument cluster provides drivers with information such as speed, revs, fuel level and water temperature.
Magneti Marelli Electronic Systems develops and manufactures instrument panels with integrated monochromatic displays (dot matrix), or the increasingly common colour display. It also manufactures more complex, fully reconfigurable clusters which can perform gateway functions.
Body Electronics
The body electronics division develops and manufactures electronic units with the following functions: fuel control and distribution, external lighting control, immobiliser, RF remote control, wiper arm control, tyre pressure monitoring, window lift control with antipinch function.
The division has also gained expertise in the field of onboard systems, defining and validating functional characteristics (message maps).
Telematics and navigation
Magneti Marelli Electronic Systems supplies telematic components to the Fiat Group (Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Maserati) and PSA (Peugeot and CitroŽn).
To offer a modular, complete range of infotelematic products, Magneti Marelli Electronic Systems has decided to develop four different types of product: the high-end infotelematics platform, the radio navigator, portable navigation device (EasyRoad) and telematic boxes.
The new high-end infotelematic system is a device which combines entertainment, navigation, telematics and telephony. It is a natural evolution of the current high-end telematic platform and its performance has now been enhanced even further with the use of a 30 GB hard disk (used to store music and maps covering the whole of Europe), a 3D graphic processor and solutions which have further improved the system’s audio performance.
The radio navigator, on the other hand, has been designed to offer an original equipment system which is cost-competitive with portable devices. The special feature of this product is the use of bluetooth (instead of the integrated telephone module) to connect the user’s cell phone and the SD reader.
Magneti Marelli’s experience in electronics and infotelematics for the automotive industry has led to the development of EasyRoad, a portable navigator with a 3.5” colour display and 20-channel GPS Sirf Star III receiver. It is easy to use (maps are loaded via a 512MB SD memory card) and has multimedia functions. This not only enables satellite navigation but you can also view film clips, photos and pictures, and listen to music.
To complete the range, “telematic boxes” are currently being developed. These are highly integrated, low-cost systems for entertainment and satnav applications such as Blue&Me/Blue&Me Nav, and safety (E-call box, a device that automatically makes an emergency call if the vehicle crashes or turns over).

Magneti Marelli Automotive Lighting
The Automotive Lighting (AL) division was formed in 1999, from a 50-50 joint venture which merged the lighting technology divisions of Robert Bosch GmbH and Magneti Marelli Spa.
After having incorporated the Seima Group (a leading manufacturer of rear lights) in 2001, the Automotive Lighting division also took over Robert Bosch’s shareholding in 2003, becoming the sole owner.
Automotive Lighting concentrates on research, development, production and sale of the complete range of technologies for front and rear lighting, fog lights, front headlight wiper systems, level adjustment systems, electronic components and stoplights fitted to the top of the rear hatch.
Customer focus and global presence are the key factors in the success of Magneti Marelli Automotive Lighting’s global operations: over 10,000 employees work at 20 different sites worldwide. In Europe, the R&D centres concentrate on innovations in front and rear lighting, and are located at Reutlingen, Germany, and Tolmezzo (UD) in Italy. There are also local R&D centres distributed over three continents, who work in close contact with customers.
Headlights and rear lamps are becoming increasingly important as far as safety is concerned, and also for design and the way the car looks. Headlights and rear lamps are important in defining the image and identity of a particular model, both during the day and at night: this is why the styling departments at Automotive Lighting work closely with their counterparts at the car manufacturers.
Magneti Marelli Automotive Lighting was the first to launch Xenon, in 1991, taking front lighting to a new dimension.
In 2003, AL equipped its first car with the dynamic curve light, one step towards the Adaptive Frontlighting System, AFS.
In 2005, the world’s first-ever front headlight with an active infra-red module was sold. 2006 saw the launch of the first complete AFS headlight which adapts to changing road and weather conditions.
A subsequent innovation was the introduction of LEDs (light-emitting diodes) in front and rear lights. These offer new styling possibilities as well as cutting down on energy consumption.
In 2005, AL began mass producing the first rear light based on LED technology.
In 2007 Automotive Lighting presented the world's first Full-LED headlamp in series production. It will be supplied to Audi R8. The Audi R8 is the first vehicle in which all lighting functions of the headlamp are realized with LED technology: low beam, high beam, turn signal, daytime running light and position light. With this development Magneti Marelli AL once again emphasizes its innovative leadership in lighting technology and provides a preview of the central topics of the future: design, technology and energy consumption.

Magneti Marelli Powertrain
Magneti Marelli Powertrain is the division which produces engine components for cars, motorbikes and light vehicles.
The headquarters of Powertrain is in Bologna, at the historic premises on Via del Timavo, where Weber carburettors were produced as early as 1920. The 14 applied research centres and 8 production sites are spread over 4 continents: in Europe (France, Italy and Germany), the USA, (Farmington Hills and Sanford), Brazil (Hortolandia) and China (Shangai and Wuhu).
The most important part of the product range is engine control systems for gasoline and diesel engines.

Magneti Marelli Powertrain produces both hardware components, the electronic control units that pilot the engine, and their sophisticated software.
The systems supplied to car manufacturers also include certain parts which are crucial for engine performance and emissions: injectors, air-gasoline and air-diesel manifolds, throttle bodies.
Magneti Marelli Powertrain is the world leader in certain key areas regarding the environmental impact of automotive technology, such as gasoline direct injection (GDI) and Flexfuel technology.
Launched in 2003 in Brazil, under the name of Flexfuel SFS, this technology allows the car to use ethanol, the plant-based fuel, produced and used in great quantities in Brazil, and gasoline, in variable proportions from 0 to 100%. In 2007, all new cars in Brazil will run on Flexfuel technology, while in Brazil Magneti Marelli is the leader of this market with a share of 58%.
Magneti Marelli has also developed Flexfuel technology with the TetraFuel system, which allows a car’s engine to run on four different types of fuel (gasoline, gasolina – a blend of petrol and 22% ethanol – pure ethanol or compressed natural gas), thanks to the use of a special microprocessor in the engine control unit.
The transmissions line deals with automatic gearboxes, i.e. automation mechanisms for manual gearboxes which originated in Formula 1, combining driver comfort with reduced consumption.
Apart from applications on many vehicles with a small to medium engine capacity, versions of the automatic Selespeed gearbox have been installed on several supercars such as Ferrari, Lamborghini and Aston Martin.
The customers of Magneti Marelli Powertrain include all the main car manufacturers in Europe and America. The company is the market leader in Brazil. Its customers also include emerging Chinese and Indian companies such as Chery, Suzuki-Maruti, and Tata. Some of the motorbike manufacturers who rely on Magneti Marelli Powertrain are Piaggio, Ducati, and Harley Davidson.

Magneti Marelli Suspension Systems

The Suspension Systems Business Line designs and manufactures vehicle suspension modules and components. The division is based in Turin, with branches in Poland, Brazil and the USA as well as Italy.
It is divided into three product lines: suspensions, shock absorbers and SDC (electronically controlled shock absorbers).
The suspensions line covers products which range from individual components (control arms, cross members, axles, knuckles, brake discs and drums) to assemblies (wheel groups, semicorners). A structured design and testing department can meet all our customers’ technical demands, and parts can be developed according to specifications, or improvements can be made on existing drawings.
Mastery of the major technological processes in the car industry, and careful management of suppliers and partners, allows the Business Line to produce suspension components in a very wide range of materials, and control their quality and performance.
Innovative products include new suspension concepts such as F.L.E.C.S (Flexible Link, Elevated Compliance Suspension) and T.O.R.C.S (Torsion Rod Compliant Suspension). Simple to calibrate and with optimal kinetic performance, these systems are real alternatives to the traditional solutions used by car makers.
The shock absorbers product line includes the two main groups of “structural” shock absorbers (essentially for McPherson suspensions) and “conventional” shock absorbers (for all the rest), as well as the niche market for gas springs.
The recently-formed SDC product line (SDC stands for Synaptic Damping Control) is based on the concept of developing an electronically-controlled shock absorption system with an electrovalve that adapts in real time to the passage of damping fluid, thus adjusting the response in accordance with various parameters (including those from the relevant sensors).
This produces a real improvement in the vehicle’s dynamic performance, by reducing the compromise between suspensions designed more to provide comfort than “sporty” driving.

Magneti Marelli Exhaust Systems
This division of Magneti Marelli develops and produces exhaust systems for cars and motor vehicles using high quality, high performance technologies.
The division comprises seven production sites, of which three are in Europe (Italy, Spain and Poland), one in South Africa, two in South America (Brazil and Argentina) and one in Asia (China). All the sites have one production plant, and four have their own R&D centres (Italy, Spain, Brazil and China).
An exhaust system has two purposes: on the one hand it reduces the pollutants contained in exhaust gases (by means of catalytic converters), and on the other, it reduces noise (by means of the silencing system).
Pollutants are reduced by designing catalytic converters able to comply with the increasingly stringent laws, and carrying out the necessary adaptations to incorporate them into the exhaust system.
In Europe, emissions are currently regulated by the Euro 4 specifications, introduced in 2005-2006. The more stringent Euro 5 specifications will come into force in 2009. The products which comply with these regulations are some of the most innovative on the market.
For example, for diesel engines there are anti-particle filters in the engine compartment (compact system), while in the future, the diesel exhaust system will be further enhanced by other NOx reduction systems such as the SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction converter with the additive Ad blue).
As far as noise reduction is concerned, Magneti Marelli produces a wide range of silencers manufactured using different technologies which vary according to customers’ requirements.
Innovative solutions are also being studied for both the “hot” and “cold” parts of the exhaust system. These include new technical solutions and new production technologies to improve quality, reduce weight and cut costs.

Magneti Marelli MotorSport
Magneti Marelli’s Motorsport Department is involved with the design, manufacture and technical sales support for a complete range of parts, hardware and software products for racing applications and motor racing championships. The division is based in Corbetta (MI), with plants at Venaria (TO) and Bologna, and application centres in France, the UK, USA, Brazil and Japan.
This highly qualified department which comprises a team of over 100 specialised engineers and technicians, enables Magneti Marelli to partner the top teams in Formula 1, WRC, MotoGP, Superbike, GP2, FIA GT and other championships.
For these competitions, Magneti Marelli develops and produces specific electronic and electro-mechanical components, in particular for engine control and data acquisition.
It also provides displays, telemetry systems, alternators, voltage regulators, ignition coils, sensors, injectors, pressure regulators, fuel pumps and software applications.
Magneti Marelli’s involvement with motor racing (which dates back to 1919) is connected to the great impulse which Magneti Marelli has always devoted to innovation – of which motor racing is the perfect exponent.

Magneti Marelli After Market Parts and Services

After the go-ahead by the Anti-trust Authority, in May of 2007 Magneti Marelli officially reacquired control of the activities tied to the distribution of automotive spare parts to the independent market.
As a matter of fact, an agreement was reached with RGZ Finanziaria for the acquisition of the majority stake of Concordia Finance - the company that controlled the network of Magneti Marelli workshops in Italy and abroad – bringing Magneti Marelli’s participation to a total of 80%.
Magneti Marelli’s new aftermarket division, called “After Market Parts and Services”, numbers approximately 500 employees, and features 8 locations in Europe (Spain, France, Germany, Poland, Greece and 3 in Italy) and 2 in South America (Brazil and Argentina), 82 countries with a sales presence and a turnover that settled around 240 million Euros in 2006, and which for Magneti Marelli will entail, at the consolidated level, an increase in turnover of about 150 million Euros.
Magneti Marelli Aftermarket Parts and Services distributes spare parts, automotive components and know-how to workshops through a network of spare parts dealers on the independent market. It also supplies products and assistance services to motorists through the affiliated network of workshops located throughout the territory.
Magneti Marelli Aftermarket Parts and Services operates on the repair market under the trademark of Magneti Marelli Checkstar Service Network. Today, the Magneti Marelli Checkstar assistance and service network features approximately 2,000 workshops in Italy and, by the year 2007,

Webber Carbs for the Racing Enthusiast
Over the years, Weber, an Italian company owned by Magneti Marelli Powertrain S.P.A, has been producing top-of-the line carburetors for street and off-road racing since 1920. These carburetors are used to revolutionize the use of two differently-sized venturis that generate a double stage barrel carburetor as part of Fiat’s conversion equipment. The large venturis is designed particularly for high speed running while the smaller one for low speed. This marked the name of Weber in carburetor manufacturing and the production of diverse high performance Webber carbs.
In 1930, shortly after the Fiat’s conversion kit has been created, Weber started producing two equal-sized barrels as motor racing carburetor. Each cylinder has its own carburetor barrel as found in racing cars like Alfa Romeo and Maserati. In 1938, Alfa Romeo 8c racing vehicles made use of twin up draught superchargers for competitions, and Weber since then, has been popular to elite enthusiasts. It has also been used in standard cars, such as BMW, Ford, Porsche, Volkswagen and Lamborghini.
Webber carbs come in different models, including DGV, IDF, ADHA, DHSA, ICT, and DCOE. Among the Webber DGV series, the 28/30 DGV is the most flexible down draught. It features easy installation, superb fuel economy, low initial cost and adaptability and performance that make a good replacement for European, American and Japanese made cars. The one used for Harley Davidson is the P/N or Mikuni TM-45-6. This carburetor can substitute carbs in Triumph, Rover, Datsun, MG, and Jaguar. The Weber IDF series, however, has been a top pick for two barrel downdraft carb, with its compact body made of alloy, float chambers, capability for full calibration in varying sizes. This highlights ball bearing throttle shaft and accelerator pump circuits in diaphragm style such that when worked with an adapter, it can replace Solex 40 car on Porsches.
Webber carburetor is marketed as a complete conversion kit which features intake manifold, air filter, throttle linkage and the full carburetor assembly. It has basically everything you need for your hardware installation of Weber in your cars. Weber has maintained its integrity in classic racing even though fuel injection has been used in both motor racing and production cars these days and has been an excellent substitute for inefficient OEM carburetors.
Webber carbs are largely distributed by different organizations, including Worldpac and Interco Products Corporation, in North America. It is time now to rev up your car engine.
Fred adds……..NOTE: Interco is Weber Carbs Direct or webercarbsdirect.com one of the largest importers for N. America….

I have more if you it.
Unread 01-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #27
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Not sure how much of that was necessary because it still doesn't address the fact that those other carbs are simply "branded" to use the Weber name and their design and quality control are not part of the original Weber carbs that perform so well and are only built in Spain.

Anyway, you need to do some more research as the needle I posted up does in fact have the spring-loaded buffer. I could continue but it's Friday night and I have better things to do than spend three days trying to prove someone wrong.

Shawn
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #28
wm69

Quote:
Not sure how much of that was necessary because it still doesn't address the fact that those other carbs are simply "branded" to use the Weber name and their design and quality control are not part of the original Weber carbs that perform so well and are only built in Spain.

Anyway, you need to do some more research as the needle I posted up does in fact have the spring-loaded buffer. I could continue but it's Friday night and I have better things to do than spend three days trying to prove someone wrong.

Shawn
I bought a Weber rebuild kit for my 32/36 and it had the newer style needle, FWIW. It was a genuine weber kit.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #29
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm69 View Post
I bought a Weber rebuild kit for my 32/36 and it had the newer style needle, FWIW. It was a genuine weber kit.
The feedback I got was the After Market seats are supplied by APT and others maybe. There are the soft seat and another style of some with two balls or similar. I do not belive they came from weber corporate, but are something one of the IMPORTERs put together.

The gentle man I spoke to was aware of the alt seats but the metal needle seat materials are stock. I can ck again.

The base theory... is you match the fuel pressure to the carb requirements. Pres for a fuel injected is different than a carb. This / Weber carb happens to spec 3.5 psi max.

Mr Swatson has used his carb for a whole wk lets see how it works in a yr. No issue with the needle, but saying the holley low pres regulator is not needed? I am just not convinced yet... takes a little time... most would agree. I would hate this to be a situation that because Fred says holley is proven and the norm for Weber applications we need to say otherwise. Fact is after testing not fact based on theory is how my mind works.

Most Weber installs did not show rich conditions for a month or two.. then the rich and stinky starts if not set up right. At least that is what I hear posted most of the time.

Stock Weber Carbs and seats can last ten years I have some say here and they never touched them. Mine has been installed for 2 yrs and zero issues. I have had my front tire bottoms six feet in the air and did not stall and the bumper was on the ground scraping.

So how about a little time under the belt with some use and trial before we send a bunch of users down the road? I know for $15 delta in price, needle/FPR, the rubber tip needle would not have been my choice. Summit Racing recommends that all the carbs have the proper fuel pressure... its just a std practice.

Last edited by Fjguercio; 01-15-2010 at 10:59 PM..
Unread 01-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #30
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Lol. You'll learn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.