Fuel Pressure Regulation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel Pressure Regulation

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 05-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Fuel Pressure Regulation

I have an electric fuel pump and getting ready to go pick up a Holley fuel pressure regulator to get it to the 3-3.5 range. Can the pressure from the pump be regulated with a resistor or potentiometer in line with the positive terminal instead?

Neuner-9R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
Moparmandjh
1977 CJ7 

How will that sense the fuel pressure as the demand changes?
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
Moparmandjh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Weber? Here's a three-dollar regulator that works much better.

Unread 05-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

No you cannot regulate the pump with resistance. You will burn it up or start a fire. I have the holley regulator and it works perfectly. You should buy an oil filled pressure gauge though. You can get a decent one from advance online for about $18. Contrary to popular advice on the forum, I had no luck with the bypass filter in the previous post even by following the exact directions posted. You also have the option of forgoing the regulator as long as you have the Holley red pump and change to a viton tipped needle and corresponding seat.
Tx. E
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5huntingrig
No you cannot regulate the pump with resistance. You will burn it up or start a fire.

I had no luck with the bypass filter in the previous post even by following the exact directions posted.
Tx. E
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I tried that filter as well and it didn't work for me either. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. If it didn't cost more to ship than what it's worth, I give it to somebody.
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

What pump are you guys running? I find your results interesting. The viton-tipped needle is stellar advice.

Shawn
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

Holley Red
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454
What pump are you guys running?

Shawn
From PO. Can't find name or model.
Unread 05-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner-9R

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I tried that filter as well and it didn't work for me either. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. If it didn't cost more to ship than what it's worth, I give it to somebody.
From what I've seen in research, the bypass filter regulates the pressure to 5psi however the weber likes 3-3.5 which may be why I didn't notice the difference. My pump puts out 7 psi. Just got the Holley regulator installed, set it to 3.5 and took it for a spin. Definitely an improvement!
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Update: Before the regulator I was averaging around 15mpg but afterwards, with the same driving conditions, I'm now averaging 17mpg.

Never saw the improvement with the bypass filter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.