Fuel Lines for CJ8 w/304 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel Lines for CJ8 w/304

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
JeepGuy66
1983 CJ8 

Fuel Lines for CJ8 w/304

Just picked up an 83 CJ8 project. Great body and frame. Came with a 304 and 5 speed. Needs complete fuel lines, brake lines and exhaust just to get going and see what I really have.

First time poster. First question.

fuel pump on the 304 is on driver's side. My understanding is fuel pump on the 258 is on the passenger side. Can anyone tell me if the fuel pump on the 4cyl is on drivers or passenger side?

Trying to figure out which fuel line set to purchase since there is no option for CJ8 with 304. Hoping that fuel pump on the 4cyl is driver's so I can just purchase that set since I know the 258 set goes to the wrong side. Any thoughts other than bending my own? Thanks much!

img_0647.jpg  
JeepGuy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

When I swapped out my 258 for a 304, I made my own fuel line. It was much simpler than trying to piece together already made parts. Measure from the fuel tank, across to the drivers side frame rail, up the rail to the motor. Add a foot or so to that measurement. Go down to a hydraulic hose shop and get some stainless steel line. Have them cut it to your length. Stop at a hardware store and get a tubing bender and cutter (both are inexpensive and great tools to have in the future.) Then simply bend and fit your new line to your Jeep. Pick up some insulated clamps to fasten the line to your frame and your done.
If you need to make a pattern for a tricky bend, use a straitened out coat hanger to make a template. It will save you some time bending the tube.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
JeepGuy66
1983 CJ8 

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was hoping there would be a pre-bent option that would be a slam dunk but if not I'm not opposed to running my own. I assume it would be cheaper in terms of cash but perhaps not time; but that's OK. BTW. what are you getting for MPG on your 304?
Unread 10-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Zero right now... LOL.. Its not on the road yet.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Jbwardfamily
1978 CJ5 

You can also use high pressure rubber fuel line. The pressures are not too high anyway and you wouldn't have to worry about bending anything. Just clamp and secure every 2 ft or so.
Jbwardfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
JeepGuy66
1983 CJ8 

I had read in a number of other posts that running hose under the cab was not recommended. Any other opinions?

Also, in regards to my original question, is it safe to say that the fuel pump on 4cycl is on the passenger side?

Thanks!
Unread 10-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
JeepGuy66
1983 CJ8 

Thanks. I thought about using the first item you listed (fuel pump to gas tank for 304) but figured it would be too short?
Unread 10-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
JeepGuy66
1983 CJ8 

Thanks all for the input.

I had something interesting happen in the last couple days. Found a guy on craigslist that was listing a rusted out CJ8 rolling chassis. It still had the brake lines and fuel lines attached. So I offered him 20 bucks if I could come snap a bunch of photos and he agreed. I immediately noticed that both the brake and the fuels lines ran along the drivers side and all appeared original. So immediately figured I could just use a pre bent kit and I could easily attach to the fuel pump. After a few minutes, one of the mechanics came out to chat. Really nice guy. I asked him about the fuel lines and he said he has seen them on both sides. He said something about V8 runs on one side and 258 runs on the other but of course scramblers weren't offered in a V8 so go figure. So I was thinking maybe this wasn't really a scrambler. Maybe it was a Wagoneer since I believe they use the same frame? He took me for a quick tour and I saw a number of rebuilds in the garage w/fuel line running passenger side. Not sure what to make of it but now having the pics of the lines running drivers side I am ready to bend my own once confirmed that pre bents are passenger side. Thanks much!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.