Fuel Issues? Electrical? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 09-09-2011, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
1973 CJ5 
Fuel Issues? Electrical?

I have a 1973 Cj 304. With Painless Wiring. And a DUI distributer. 2 barrell carb. The Jeep seems to drive fine for a little while then after the engine warms up especially when driving when in gear the engine seems to bog down. Like lack of fuel but it doesn't cut the engine off. the motor just acts like lack of fuel getting to the motor. Then when I come to a complete stop it cuts of sometimes but not all the time. Also the headlights have cut on and off but only after about 30 mins of driving.

So i replaced the fuel filter and even the fuel pump, and did test the gas getting to the motor and that seems fine. I was hoping that these problems aren't linked. The Carb on the motor is only about a month old.

I was thinking a bad ground but I did search all of the wires and couldn't find any source of corrosion or any grounding.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 Old 09-26-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
1973 CJ5 
It turned out to be a bad EGR Valve...I replaced it and now the jeep runs fine...somehow I now have to go back and adjust the timing as well as the idle speed....the original EGR valve was pretty gunked up it was amaxing the vehicle was running at all...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.