Fuel Injector/Throttle Body Injector ID - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel Injector/Throttle Body Injector ID

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 01-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Kryptae
1985 CJ7 

Fuel Injector/Throttle Body Injector ID

Can anyone help me identify my Fuel Injector form these pics?

If so, does anyone have any info on how it would be wired into an '85 CJ7?

My fuel pump is not getting power. Coil, relay, and fuse are all good. Tracing the red wire leads into the computer which does not show a fuel injector connection (Chilton's). I'd like to contact the manufacturer for installation directions since I can't locate the PO's mechanic who installed the system. My friend (mechanic) does not think the ignition switch is bad but is looking for any info on how the system was wired in.

Any help is appreciated.

Kryptae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

Look on the computer. If it says Howell on it, you can call them for help. If not than do a search on here for "Junkyard TBI" because you have one or the other. (pretty much the same thing anyway)
Someone will probably chime in here to help with the problem, but a search will help you familiarize yourself with the system.
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Here is a link that will show you how most 1227747 ECM's are wired into the system if it is a junkyard TBI install. Take a look at your computer and see if it is a 1227747 ECM.

Connection Drawings

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

In your second picture , On the firewall right above the oil breather Green connector on the fire wall is your map sensor, to the right of that on the firewall just to the right of the air cleaner hold down bolt is your fuel pump relay, Not sure if Howell's harness has it but most GMs have a short wire out of the relay that goes nowhere about 4" long, this is a fuel pump test connector. Good place to start. If you know nothing about this system this is the best diagram I have ever found, easy to read and very complete by a guy named Dave Clifton, http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54400
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
Kryptae
1985 CJ7 

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll pass it along to my mechanic and see what he can do with it.
Unread 01-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

That is a Rochester TBI sitting on a Howell adapter plate. You can down load instructions from the Howell site
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
CSP

Yep, the triangular piece on the linkage is a dead giveaway for a Howell modified throttle body.

The first place I'd look for a lack of power to the fuel pump would be the fuel pump relay fuse located on the firewall. It's in the second picture just to the right of the air filter hold-down stud.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
Kryptae
1985 CJ7 

Update

Thanks everyone for the input. It was a GM#1227747 ECM stuffed behind the glove box, over the ductwork.

Turns out the problem was two-fold. One issue was a loose "vampire" clip tapping off a hot line to the ECM fuel pump pin. The second was that not one but two fuel pump relays had gone/were bad. Took some time testing to figure out a "new" in the box unit was no good.

Got everything up and running again yesterday, so thanks again for the input.
Unread 01-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Glad it is up and running, strange it had two fuel pump relays?

Jim
Unread 01-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
CSP

Not two relays in the system. The existing one was bad as was a new replacement.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Not two relays in the system. The existing one was bad as was a new replacement.
wow, like you needed that. At least you figured it out

Jim

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.