fuel injection here i come - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > fuel injection here i come

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
dirtydaddy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

fuel injection here i come

today i finaly ripped the carb off my 83 and im in the market for throttle body injection.I have been told that the howell system is the way to go because it is california legal.There is a state web site that tells you if its legal or not and what useless parts that you can take off .....has anyone used a howell kit ....if so tell me whats good or bad thanks....

dirtydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

I never understood why CA would ***** about a more efficient EFI system being used in place of the BBD carb (mind you, I can tune the BBD in my sleep unless the vehicle has a rusty tank like my '82 Spirit)
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

This is the route I'm going: http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/junkyardtbi.asp
Unread 01-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
Bakunin
1985 CJ7 

well

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuck View Post
I never understood why CA would ***** about a more efficient EFI system being used in place of the BBD carb (mind you, I can tune the BBD in my sleep unless the vehicle has a rusty tank like my '82 Spirit)
It's not necessarily about efficiency as much as emissions. If it has more emissions, California won't allow it.

Nobody ever accused the State of being smart on this point. If they cared at all about efficiency or if they were actually intelligent about these things, they wouldn't limit the number of VW TDI's which can be sold in the State. They get 50 MPG but since they are diesel, the State wrote them off out of hand. They weren't even available in California from 2004 to 2007 or something...ridiculous.
Unread 01-10-2009, 05:57 AM   #5
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Yeah Howell and the Mopar MPI kits are the only SMOG legal in CA. Though there are other solutions and some that may actually work better the State does not recognize them. This is purely financial they want to make their money testing California Air Resources Board (CARB) charges manufactures fortunes for their sticker which is a long drawn out process. Most smaller suppliers wont even go through the hassle.

In the end its all about money
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #6
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

I know a guy with the Howell system on a 304, ha had some problems with it at first, but its all worked out now.
I don't have any details on the problems because it was before I knew him
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.