Fuel injected CJ and smogging in California - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel injected CJ and smogging in California

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
topless_cj
1983 CJ7 

Fuel injected CJ and smogging in California

Hi all,

83 CJ7 with a Mopar MPI kit on my 258. Always had issues with visual part of smogging in California, but always managed to find a mechanic that was familiar with the situation.

Has been in PA for a while and want to bring the Jeep back to southern CA.

Does anyone have any suggestions for smogging mechanics that are familiar with old fuel injected jeeps or experience with these kits for getting the Jeep smog legal again? I am in the Norwalk area but will happily drive where a mechanic is familiar with my modification!

Just a basic kit from 4wd-hardware, no other modifications.

Super appreciative!

topless_cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
FamousJerry
2014 JK Wrangler 

do you have the C.A.R.B sticker for it? if not good luck. Tough to find someone that has any idea what they are doing smog wise on a jeep out here.
FamousJerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
topless_cj
1983 CJ7 

yes I do, and I agree with you, which is why I am posting and hoping others have found mechanics that have done this before.
topless_cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Unfortunately you don't have a choice when it comes to getting SMOG tested. You might get sent to a Test Only facility. As long as you have the C.A.R.B. sticker and everything is in working order and your emissions are below the threshold you should be good to go. If there is a dispute you can set up an appointment with a SMOG Referee.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
mtndrew
1983 CJ7 

I have an identical setup as yours 83 258 multiport fuel injection and in so cal. Take it to a referee and keep your paper work from there on out and every smog shop will be a lot less likely to hassle u. Before I went through a referee I had guys saying I wouldn't pass visual as soon as I showed them the paperwork they just shut up and said no prob
mtndrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
PERK
1983 CJ7 

if you have both stickers that came with the kit your good. the smog guy is going to test your fuel system for leaks by pressurizing the tank, if you have not replaced your vent and fill hoses in a long time they will leak. you should get a new nonvented gas cap..it will be tested.
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
Blue83CJ7
1980 CJ7 

Google the CARB EO number on your sticker, print it and bring it with you. Is this the right one for your kit: http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...o/D-265-7.pdf?

Make sure you have removed all the things the letter tells you to remove, and that you added all the sensors they say come with the kit, vacuum lines per the new sticker, etc.

Also, check your gas tank vents/purge system, rollover valve etc are all hooked up and the lines aren't cracked, clamps are tight, etc. He will clamp the vent line at the charcoal canister under the hood and pump like 5psi into your tank and it has too hold a % of it for a few minutes.

You may want to bring an extra gas cap in case your gas cap fails, had that happen on my last jeep.

I have the Howell kit and they gave me a hard time until I gave them that printout that matched the EO on my sticker. I had to explain why the unused port on the TBI was plugged with a vacuum line and bolt, then trace the vacuum wires for him that matched my howell sticker but he was cool after that.

The only thing they dinged me for was that for the first test I had a "snail" type air cleaner assembly that routes over the valve cover and ends with a cone type element and the letter called for an "open" air filter, but I made them run it through anyway so I would know if it would pass otherwise, since I knew I had a free retest. Came back and nailed it.

Finally, shop around for price matching and free retest or don't pass=don't pay deals.

One shop wanted over $120 bucks with no free retest but I drove 10 minutes away and did it for $54 with a free retest "if I come in right now"

Good luck!
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Blue83CJ7
1980 CJ7 

Here's the one for the CA legal Howell CA legal kit for the 72-91 4.2l

http://db.tt/ObnIGKSa

Tags
california , cj , fuel injection , smog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.