fuel guage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > fuel guage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 04-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
bdsmitch
1983 CJ7 

fuel guage

i put a new fuel and temp gauge in my 83 cj and everytime i put the ignition wire on it blows my fuse. i checked the wiring again and it is all correct. so i dont know why it is blowing.

bdsmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
upleo

me too same problem yesterday hoping for some advice. The wiring is correct
upleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Centerfire

1986 CJ7 

Perhaps check the internal resistance on both units?

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/specs.htm

and triple check the wiring?

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/gagetemp.htm
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/gagefuel.htm
Centerfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
bdsmitch
1983 CJ7 

ok i am making progress i took my speedo back apart i think my fuel gauge was grounding out on my speedo causing my fuse to blow got it back on now and now have power to both my sending units. now to continue from there.

Can you run a single ground right to the fuel sending unit or do you split the ground wire and run a lead to a dedicated ground
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

the sending unit should ground to the frame, it should have come equipped with a black wire, all you need is a clean spot a screw and a hole (almost like sex, isn't it?)
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
bdsmitch
1983 CJ7 

yes it is thats nice so i can cut off the black wire and screw it into the frame.
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

there should already be a hole somewhere on the inside of the driver's side frame where the old one grounded, close to the tank. shouldn't have to cut the black ground wire. On mine the hole in the frame is closer to the front of the tank, almost parallel, maybe a few inches forward
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

this is from this write up, it can answer more for you:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~john.str...for_cj_gau.htm
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
bdsmitch
1983 CJ7 

that helps i got everything wired up correctly and i have my volt and temp gauge working. but my fuel and oil wont work. my fuel gauge reads right except for i to g and a to g so i ran a ground to the speedo and no change it is at 25 ohms. when i ground out the plug on the sending unit it doesnt move, so i think it is the gauge but it is brand new.
the oil gauge has power but the sender does not blink is it suspost to but if i take the plug off there is a dull light on the ground and sender.

any advice is greatly appreciated
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
bdsmitch
1983 CJ7 

going over it again my sender to ground is 26 and i to ground is good and so is a to ground then the weird thing is my both my s to i and s to a are -18 at first i thought they were good but they are on the negitive side not sure what that means. this fuel gauge is driving me mad then i tried the temp again and from s to a it was at 3 ohms not sure where to go from here

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.