Fuel gauge, temp gauge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel gauge, temp gauge

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 04-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
HEADSPACEXXX

Fuel gauge, temp gauge

Some of the supply catalogs say you should replace the fuel and temp gauge as a pair, but looking through the info in the links below I did not see anything said about it. Can I put a new (after market) fuel gauge in and it work with the old temp gauge?

http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...QuickFacts.htm

Check these out also:
http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...for_cj_gau.htm

and

http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...eQuickTest.htm

HEADSPACEXXX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

No, the fuel gauge has a voltage regulator in it that feeds both the fuel gauge and the temp gauge.

You could hook up an electronic 5 volt regulator to just feed the temp gauge I guess, but the voltage going back to the fuel sender might be an issue. The fuel sender is expecting to regulate 5 volts to ground, not sure what 12 would do to it or the readings the gauge would see back.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
No, the fuel gauge has a voltage regulator in it that feeds both the fuel gauge and the temp gauge.
You could hook up an electronic 5 volt regulator to just feed the temp gauge I guess, but the voltage going back to the fuel sender might be an issue. The fuel sender is expecting to regulate 5 volts to ground, not sure what 12 would do to it or the readings the gauge would see back.
Not realy sure what you mean there Mike. The Fuel sender doesn't adjust the regulator. ?? Well it kinda does but not realy. The regulator realy does not set a certian voltage, it regulates how much current is delivered to the system IF the sysem needs more power then the pulses get longer, if it needs less current then the pulses get shorter. Pulse width is effected by input voltage and temperature. Pulse height is 12 volts.

Maybe he's talking about an aftermarket gauge that fits in the speedo but some of those only run on 12 volts also.

A couple of the Aftermarked direct replacement gauges seem to be calibrated for thier own constructions and may not work with the OEM gauge. That's one of the reason to replace them in pairs.

If you had a lot of time you could probably adjust the fuel gauge to work properly with the temp gauge. You would have to first adjust the regulator on the fuel gauge to match the temp gauge and then adjust the Full scale and 0 adjustment on the fuel gauge.

The regulator adjustment on this aftermarket gauge is on the left thru a hole in the case. The other adjustments are noted.

Last edited by John Strenk; 04-02-2008 at 11:42 AM..
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
HEADSPACEXXX

Mike
It is a after market gauge but it is the factory style that goes in the speed-o cluster, not a stand a lone fuel gauge. This is the note from the 4WHEELPARTS.COM web site.

Fuel Gauge in Speedometer Cluster;1972-86

Should be replaced at the same time as the temperature gauge. Note: Fuel sending unit may have to be calibrated for fuel gauge to work properly.
Unread 04-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADSPACEXXX View Post
Mike
It is a after market gauge but it is the factory style that goes in the speed-o cluster, not a stand a lone fuel gauge. This is the note from the 4WHEELPARTS.COM web site.

Fuel Gauge in Speedometer Cluster;1972-86

Should be replaced at the same time as the temperature gauge. Note: Fuel sending unit may have to be calibrated for fuel gauge to work properly.
Cool, sounds like it would work with a bit of adjusting. I just checked one of my old sets and it too has the adjustments for power and top and bottom end of the tank on it. This one fried though, it stuck on full power, pinned both the gauges out and cooked the coils in both of them.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
HEADSPACEXXX

Man these forums are great, you get help with pictures, the place I ordered the fuel gauge from did not say in their catalog it had to be replaced in pairs, but I saw it in other catalogs, the parts are suppose to be in firday, I wonted to make sure when I installed the fuel gauge it was not going to burn up.

thanksalot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.