Fuel Gauge Sender Unit Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel Gauge Sender Unit Help

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
al2ride
1976 CJ7 

Fuel Gauge Sender Unit Help

When I bought my CJ, the previous owner told me to watch the fuel gauge because it didn't work properly. Come to find out, someone had drilled through the gauge housing and had glued the needle at about 3/4 full. So I ordered a brand new exact replacement from what it was installed (see photo), but when hooked up the needle pegs beyond empty/full...can't remember which extreme. I'm guessing that the gauge's resistance range is not matching the sending unit. I also noticed that the fuel tank is a huge metal tank...I'm guessing 20 plus gallons or so. Do I need to go with the stock speedo/fuel/temp gauge to make the fuel gauge work properly or is there anything else I could do to keep the really nice white faced gauges. They are the Phantom Auto Meter gauges.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You should be able to make the gauge work but you will probably have to take the sending unit out.

You need to match the resistance ranges on the gauge match the one in the tank. Didn't the gauge come with any information?

Possibly a bad sending unit also
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
SleeperCJ
1983 CJ7 

I have those same gauges, runny a stock sending unit and for the longest time I couldn't figure out why my gas gauge didn't work. Turned out I had the wrong gauge for the stock sending unit. You can use an autometer gauge with the stock sending unit, I think the right gauge part no. Ends -15 and I had -17. The ohm range you want is like 0-73 ohms.
SleeperCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
al2ride
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperCJ View Post
I have those same gauges, runny a stock sending unit and for the longest time I couldn't figure out why my gas gauge didn't work. Turned out I had the wrong gauge for the stock sending unit. You can use an autometer gauge with the stock sending unit, I think the right gauge part no. Ends -15 and I had -17. The ohm range you want is like 0-73 ohms.
Yeah, I just looked at the specs for the one I have Model Number 5718, and the range is 16 ohm empty and 158 ohms full. I think that's pretty much backwards from what the stock unit is and why is pegging out. Did you end up getting the right one?
Unread 10-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
al2ride
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
You are right on ending -15. It's actually Model Number 5715 which is 73 ohm empty and 10 full, which is what the stock sender unit is.
Unread 10-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
SleeperCJ
1983 CJ7 

Yeah thats the one. I haven't had my engine running since I put the new one it, but when I turn the keys I get a reasonable fuel level reading. I have the 20 gallon tank also, it is plastic with a metal shroud/skid plate.
Unread 10-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
al2ride
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Yeah thats the one. I haven't had my engine running since I put the new one it, but when I turn the keys I get a reasonable fuel level reading. I have the 20 gallon tank also, it is plastic with a metal shroud/skid plate.
I have a huge, don't know how many gallons, metal tank. When I went to redo my fuel lines (pump to carb) I noticed contaminated brownish fuel. It looks like it's time to replace the tank. I'm going to go with a plastic tank alone with a new sender unit and hopefully that solves my problems.
Unread 10-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
SleeperCJ
1983 CJ7 

Right on. I started up my engine last night and the new fuel gauge appears to be working. The 5715.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.