fuel gauge not functioning properly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > fuel gauge not functioning properly

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 07-09-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
atomicflatulenc
1985 CJ7 

fuel gauge not functioning properly

just bought an 85 CJ7, and I have a few bugs to work out. Well more than a few. I'm gonna start a thread for each.

Fuel gauge goes up to full when filled, but stops or gets stuck at half full. Found out the hard way, when I ranout of gas.

Unfortunately, the odometer is working either. Gonna work on that next.

atomicflatulenc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
atom73
1977 CJ5 

Fuel sending unit is in the gas tank, its basically a mechanical toilet bowl float. If that sticks it would cause your problem. Mine was completely rusted when i bought my CJ5. It was so bad that it looked like rust corn flakes, I went ahead and replaced the tank, sending unit, lines, pump, and now carb because of all the rust that had been sent through that fuel system. Check your sending unit, you will have to drop the tank to do this.
Mike
atom73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #3
GPER
1979 CJ7 

http://www.terrainstompers.com/forum...opic.php?t=861
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
atomicflatulenc
1985 CJ7 

That's a great idea... but lets just say the odometer is also not working...then what???

I checked the wires going into the odometer, but where do they go to? I can't find it in any of my manuals.
'85 CJ7, 258 4.2 Howell TBI, NP435, twin sticked Dana300, 4.56 Yukon chromoly: Rear20-extra thick tubes, shaved,trussed,discbrakes,ARB: Front30- flipped tierod,Detroit EZ locker, warn hubs: 3.5" BDS YJ springs and booster, 35" Trxus M/T's, rhino'd, full roll cage, borgenson steering shaft, big daddy steering box bracket...Unknown OIL Leak(working on it...)
FOR SALE $6000
Unread 07-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
atom73
1977 CJ5 

I am not sure about the odometer, mine is just a shaft driven gear that runs from the tranny to the back of the odo. Its all mechanical and has no electricity in it so if its not working its likely the speedo cable (its a rotating cable that drives the gears in the odo and speedo). Thats on a 77 CJ5 though, I wouldnt think that an 85 is digital though. When I bought mine the PO had taped the speedo cable to the tranny housing, it didnt work, just kept it from dragging. You probably need a new speedo cable as well as the sending unit for fuel. Once you get that stuff fixed you will be finding other little buggers that need replacing.
Mike
atom73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

There is cable from your TC to the back of the speedometer. make sure it is connected at both ends.

Use this for troubleshooting other guages.
http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...eQuickTest.htm
http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...QuickFacts.htm

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
JarWithLid
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicflatulenc
That's a great idea... but lets just say the odometer is also not working...then what???
Two things:

1. If your speedo works, but odo doesn't, it's something mechanical inside your gauge cluster. Both broke = cable (most likely).
2. Use the search feature on this forum. All of these questions have been answered before, in depth.

http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...eQuickTest.htm
http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...for_cj_gau.htm
http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...e%20Theory.htm
http://users.adelphia.net/~john.stre...QuickFacts.htm

I found all that searching these forums. It's just that easy...
1982 XS650 Bobber
1966 Honda CB160 Race Project
JarWithLid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
atomicflatulenc
1985 CJ7 

I always try searching first, but never seam to find what I'm looking for as fast as you guys can answer. Thanks for the help!

I can't understand any of that stuff anyway...just gonna have to open the wallet and let a guru take care of it...
'85 CJ7, 258 4.2 Howell TBI, NP435, twin sticked Dana300, 4.56 Yukon chromoly: Rear20-extra thick tubes, shaved,trussed,discbrakes,ARB: Front30- flipped tierod,Detroit EZ locker, warn hubs: 3.5" BDS YJ springs and booster, 35" Trxus M/T's, rhino'd, full roll cage, borgenson steering shaft, big daddy steering box bracket...Unknown OIL Leak(working on it...)
FOR SALE $6000
Unread 07-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicflatulenc
I always try searching first, but never seam to find what I'm looking for as fast as you guys can answer. Thanks for the help!

I can't understand any of that stuff anyway...just gonna have to open the wallet and let a guru take care of it...
If that's your answer you are not using this forum for what is here for. If you turn to someone else to fix everything that goes wrong with your Jeep, you'll be broke and won't know anything more than when you started. Take some time and read the articles. Print them out and go step by step and test your guages to see how they work, and if they are working properly. Fixing a speedo cable is as simple as it gets - Give it a try, don't give to someone else to do it, or you'll never be able to afford your Jeep.

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #10
atomicflatulenc
1985 CJ7 

testing the gauges seems like the hard part. I've always had trouble with meters...burn them out almost every time. I'll probably end up doing more damage.
FOR SALE $6000
Unread 07-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
jbo-cj7

Just try it, if you really can't get it fixed then take it to someone. Its not going to hurt you to try it plus you might learn a thing or two about your rig. Sounds like you don't want to take the time to do it but it might benefit you if you do.
jbo-cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #12
atomicflatulenc
1985 CJ7 

Its not a time thing, just don't want to end up paying more to fix my mistakes.
FOR SALE $6000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.