Fuel Filter Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel Filter Replacement

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 08-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
havasu7
1979 CJ7 

Fuel Filter Replacement

I have a 1979 CJ 7 that had a stock 304 in it and I put in a 401. I took all of the smog off of it. The original fuel filter had a return line on it back to the fuel tank. Does anyone know why or what it was used for. I capped it off and put a regular filter on it. The engine has seemed like it is starving for gas after i run it hard even though I put an electric Fuel pump on in it. It could have something to do with a gas tank venting issue. Has anyone had similar problems or no a cure? Thanks.

havasu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
sevenlitre2002
1983 CJ7 

Same set up here, with a 360. No pollution stuff, regular fuel filter, no return line.
Mine runs like a top. The only difference I can think of is I didn't cap the return line.
I just cut it off where the charcoal cannister used to be, and left it open.
sevenlitre2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 05:07 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The gas tank will vacuum lock with no vent and starve the engine for fuel.

The vent is the charcoal canister. That is a good thing to have working because it also ties with the PCV line. The PCV controls engine sludge and won't operate right without the added air flow from the canister.

The return line is there to prevent vapor lock on a hot shutdown.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
desmolift
1981 CJ7 

Just the other day I went through this vapor lock issue with the fuel filter. If you are using the dual output filter w/return line, be sure it is installed correctly. It must be horizontal with the return line on the top. Otherwise, it will not return the vapors to the tank. Mine was installed incorrectly, and the return line was kinked. Although, I don't think I have a charcoal canister in the return path.
desmolift is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.