Fuel Filter Location Question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel Filter Location Question.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Joker45678
1981 CJ7 

Fuel Filter Location Question.

hello,

I'll go through the Basics first. I have an '81 CJ7 with a 258 out of a '79 with a mechanical fuel pump and a carter carb.

I've seen some photos of other 258s on here and the filter is located inline between the pump and carb. I have mine inline between the Tank and Pump. Does this make a difference?

I am having troubles with losing gas from the carb after a couple of days of sitting. I can pump the pedal and get no gas stream in the carb, and have to crank the engine to prime the system, or use starting fluid to get it going. I have no fuel return line hooked to anything, No Canister or emission controls. The return line has the same bolt the PO put in it before I bought it. It had a 305 in it when I got it and had no problems with this same setup with that engine. I was even looking onto getting a canister to see if it fixed the problem.

I was thinking it was siphoning gas back out of the bowl. Now I am just confused on what's going on. Would the Filter up higher help me??

I truly appreciate any help you guys can give me.
Thank you,
Dan

Unread 02-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
devon9988
1979 CJ5 

I would think so. The filter probably holds a little bit of fuel between the pump and the carb. Do you have a return line to the tank set up from the filter?
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
Joker45678
1981 CJ7 

No, the filter is only a 1 inlet, 1 outlet filter. The original return line is in the engine compartment with a bolt in it to plug it off (PO Not Me). I'm just confused as I ran it as a DD for over 10 years with the return blocked off and no problems.
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

You want the filter between the carb and pump-much better to have it on the pressure side rather than trying to suck fuel through it. It will not make any difference where you position it in that line. That said, the filter probably has nothing to do with your fuel loss problem which my guess is slowly seeping into the manifold. Not likely siphoning out of the bowl even with a leaky needle and seat. I would try a new carb kit.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Joker45678
1981 CJ7 

I bought a rebuilt carb from Autozone and put it on instead of rebuilding the old carb when I swapped engines. I kept the original carb that was on the engine. I'll try rebuilding the old carb, and see if that helps.

Does the fuel return line just go from the filter straight to the tank, or does it have to go to a canister?

Thanks for the info
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Crazyray2929
1981 CJ7 

Return line goes straight to the tank..
I have a fuel filter before the pump..
Also have one up top to the carb and split to the tank..
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Joker45678
1981 CJ7 

Great, Thanks for the insight guys. I'll pick up a new double outlet filter and rebuild the old carb this weekend. That should cure the problem. If not I will lose the Carter.........
Unread 02-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
Crazyray2929
1981 CJ7 

If you lose the Carter what will you go with?
Unread 02-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
Joker45678
1981 CJ7 

Probably the MC2100 swap. If that don't work I'll convert it to an electric fuel pump.
Unread 02-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
Crazyray2929
1981 CJ7 

I LOVE our MC2100 !!!!!...Very simple to do and easy to tune..I used my vacuum gauge and put the coon tune on it.
Burn off in 2nd and good scratch in 3rd..Humms rite along in 4th..
Make sure the carb you get has the PCV port on the base..
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
GWJeepster
1986 CJ7 

carb issues as well?

I am brand new to the forums and gotta say i love the threads i've read thus far. Heres my love/hate issue;

bought my 2nd jeep in feb 2012(it had problems). With my limited experience i began to try and problem solve my issues ie running rough, missing, backfiring, throwing oil everywhere etc...

I started with the weber which the PO had put on and figured a simple rebuild would suffice. After a while that pissed me off so I went with the original setup with the Carter BBD/stepper motor(poor choice on my behalf).

Despite how difficult it was for me to get it tuned and adjusted properly, the engine did perform better. However I was still spraying oil everywhere.

Throughout the course of the next 6 months I would tear it down(everything except the block and head) and redo it...finding new issues, then fixing them, then finding more, and fixing them....and repeat.

After more cash than I care to disclose it finally dawned on me with enough research that my piston walls had to be worn like crazy. So I pulled it, rebuilt it, cleaned or replaced everything under the hood, and bought a brand new weber dgev 32/36 to replace the carter I had just recently purchased.

Would run great for about 20 minutes until would start to overheat(during the course of almost 20 overheats, monitered closely to avoid head damage, I was experimenting with different electric fan setups). After finally getting a configuration that I could respect with the fans the overheating stopped, however i couldn't nug out that dam spit, spat, sputter, backfire. Some days it would run no issues then some it wouldn't pull its weight ( spit, spat, sputter, backfire). I went back to the carter(minus the stepper pins) because it had wonderful throttle response compaired to the weber and changed the regulator, filter, and guage configuration like 10 times. Below are the pics in the order of start to finish. It runs like a champ most days but every now and then it'll spit, spat, sputter, backfire. I can cutoff the engine for 20 minutes and it goes away.
Please help!!
originally-purchased.jpg   version2.jpg   version3.jpeg   now1.jpeg  
Unread 09-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #12
GWJeepster
1986 CJ7 

Not sure if my issue is charcoal canister related, filter, vacuum, or mixture. It will just outta the blue starting bucking on me(sometimes more throttle will help, sometimes it wont). I am outta ideas and things to replace! I am in desperate need of some advice from someone other than my novice self
Unread 09-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #13
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

it has not been mentioned here, but on placement of the fuel filter.

filter: one in, two out,

the outside outlet on the out side must be positioned on the top, if you position the outside outlet in any other position, after the jeep sets awhile it will syphon the gas out of the carb and sent it back to the tank.
then the motor will have to turn over many times before it starts.

fuel pump then has to pump gas back up to the carb

this is my understanding of how the duel outlet fuel filter is suspost to be positioned.
good luck

i have a weber carb on my jeep and it works good, much better than the old carb.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Now if the fuel pump was faulty then the gas can flow back through the pump back to the tank.
If you got a weak pump because of leaks, maybe it cant supply enough fuel to the carb and it starts to buck around. Of course it could be ignition related also
Do you have a tach in your jeep:

im also trying to figure out your air filter also.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #15
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

GW Jeepster, nice way to revive and hijack a year and a half old thread. Looking at the pictures it appears to me you have a lot of things going on, while trying to fix a poor running engine. I see different carbs, valve covers, distributor wires (maybe cap), air cleaner assemblies, headers and intakes. With that said, I think your issues are more likely vaccuum related than carb related.

Tags
carter carburator , fuel system

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.