Fuel filter - Home made? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel filter - Home made?

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
ProdigalJeeper
1979 CJ5 

Fuel filter - Home made?

1979 CJ5 w/ original IL6 ... The attached pic shows a homemade(?) fuel filter (or possible water trap?) zip tied to the fuel pump installed by a previous owner as I did not put it there. One can see the feed line from the fuel tank going into the bottom of the filter and then it comes out the top and does a complete loop before entering the fuel pump. Also, there is a factory in-line fuel filter between the pump and the carburetor ... Has anyone seen something like this before? I'm guessing this was installed to combat rust in the gas tank but I really don't know.

Any ideas on where to find a replacement or should I just install another in-line filter in its place?

fuel-filter-640x426-.jpg

ProdigalJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
bptactical

Not home made, just a generic aftermarket filter.
The zip tie to the pump is a bad idea, vibration will eventually cause the filter to wear into the pump and leak, sometimes with catastrophic results.
Rubber line is also a bad idea, it will allow the fuel to expand and boil, causing vapor lock issues.
Normally there is a sock filter on the pick up in the tank so a pre pump filter is usually unnecessary.
bptactical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Just a generic inline fuel filter. There are plenty of us who would LOVE to delve into the mind (does he indeed have one? ) of the previous owner of our Jeeps.

He may not have realized that the "funny thingy with the two outs" is the fuel filter. He may have cut that see through filter in to see if his tank was rusty. Who knows what lurks in the minds of those before us?

It isn't hurting anything as long as it's clean. I'd be more concerned about the excess length of the fuel line.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

If the Jeep is in such condition that a second fuel filter is needed in addition to the correct one, then it's got other problems that should be fixed like a damaged sock on the fuel sending assembly, or an excess of debris in the gas tank.
Unread 04-28-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
ProdigalJeeper
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
If the Jeep is in such condition that a second fuel filter is needed in addition to the correct one, then it's got other problems that should be fixed like a damaged sock on the fuel sending assembly, or an excess of debris in the gas tank.
Wondered that myself. Just bought this CJ in March so I'm slowly learning its secrets ...
ProdigalJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalJeeper View Post
Wondered that myself. Just bought this CJ in March so I'm slowly learning its secrets ...
There are plenty of secrets, but nothing impossible to learn. If you stick around here from time to time you'll start to read about the more common problems and their fixes.
Unread 04-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
I have run a large canister type filter before the FP for decades.
Just keeps crap out of the FP that the 'sock' lets by.
LG
Unread 04-29-2014, 05:28 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The ethanol in modern gas carries water in it. This water rusts out the stock jeep steel gas lines (and tank) so you can get rust coming from the lines despite the sock filter in the tank. The new gas line i bought at napa is plastic coated inside to prevent this. It came in screw together pieces of various lengths. Same deal for the stock rubber lines, ethanol makes them go rock hard and crack.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.