Fuel Filter??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel Filter???

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
TheGhost
1983 CJ7 

Fuel Filter???

I have recently installed a Weber 32 / 36 Carb on my 4.2 and am in the process of re-plumbing the fuel lines. The question is, do I need to keep the fuel filter with the return, or can this be replaced with a single outlet filter and the return eliminated?

TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
TheGhost
1983 CJ7 

Bump......
Unread 02-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
80jeepcj
1980 CJ7 

i'm definitely not the expert here...but i have the same set up and i have the return. i'm pretty sure the return is necessary especially with the stock fuel pump and most people that know more than me recommend a pressure regulator as well. that would be the two cents that i've borrowed from others over the years =)
80jeepcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The return is needed. It prevents vapor lock by being at the top of the filter so on a hot shutdown the vapors blow back tot he tank rather than vapor locking the gas line. It also has a metered hole so the main center line keeps the pressure right for a BBD carb.

A gent also flipped his filter around and used the smaller return line with it's metered hole in it as a fuel pressure regulator. It gave 1.5 psi at idle and 3 at speed I think:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/fu...ml#post8435916
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
TheGhost
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the info. I sort of figured I'd need it. It's just sort of ugly and I was hoping to hard-pipe most of it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.