Fuel Economy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel Economy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-03-2005, 11:39 PM   #1
nsamaster0414

Fuel Economy

Hey, I was just wondering if there is anyway to improve my fuel economy short of putting in a different tranny/T-case combo. I am running a 79 258 I6, with Weber 32/36, on a T150. Thanks in advance.

Nick~

nsamaster0414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2005, 11:43 PM   #2
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Keep your foot out of the skiny pedal
Make sure your tires are not under inflated
A correctly tuned engine
A wheel alignment
Even an oil change
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2005, 12:13 AM   #3
tbicj7

Also, make sure it can breath
Vegore the Wonder Tomato 83 CJ7 TBI 350 smog legal conversion Bowtie stage 3 700r4 D300 w/twin stick Dana 44's front and rear 4.56's locked up at both ends high angle drivelines f/r Xtreme offroad high steer conversion currie steering box brace all custom SS braided lines 37" MTR's warn XD9000i SOA wrangler springs(all rears)slickrock hangers currie bumpers front and rear w/full size spare, full family cage simpson harnesses and tuffy boxes. The list goes on and on.
R.I.P.
08 on the way
tbicj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
nsamaster0414

I have kept it tuned up. I do an oil change around ever 2,200. I used Lucas Oil Stabalizer with it, some STP oil burn treatment plus the reg oil. It gets around the 10-12 MPG that I have read to be common and average, but I am just looking for anything else that might help it. What about a higher engery coil for better combustion or are there any other after market items or such that I might be able to use to help it out a bit. Thanks!

Nick~
nsamaster0414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2005, 09:40 AM   #5
ravinhuxley

If you havent done TFI or HEI, do it. It helps. I know I gained a bit.
Unread 07-04-2005, 01:24 PM   #6
TheJunkMan2005
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Try replacing the gear oil with some really good synthetic fluids. Also what size tires are you running? A bigger tire will drop the RPM and increase fuel milage.

On my pick up trucks, I tried putting an open air filter on it, and every time noticed a 2-3mpg drop! Put stock air filter back on, and it'll go right back up. That has happened on my 86 Dodge, 85 Chevy 3/4t 2wd, and my 85 GMC 3/4t 4x4. Consider that also.. Sometimes too much air has a bad effect on fuel milage.

On my GMC, I tried a tornado that I got for free. Dropped fuel milage about 1mpg. I removed the tornado, and took out the air filter, and got that truck upto 14mpg(from 8 when I started a 1200mile trip).

That's just a few little tips I've found for other vehicles.
Unread 07-05-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
twmattox

Make sure your speedo gear is correct. A lot of times, people will put on larger tires and not correct the speedo. This causes it to register far fewer miles than are actually travelled. This plummets MPG.

Make absolutely certain that your Weber is properly tuned. These can be tuned to act properly, but realy be running rich. Google Weber tuning for guides...
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2005, 01:53 PM   #8
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

'Jeep' and 'fuel economy' in the same sentence and it isn't a joke?
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2005, 07:17 PM   #9
bjf498
1983 CJ7 

i get about 14 in the city with my fresh motor
Unread 07-05-2005, 09:56 PM   #10
dawgates
Web Wheeler
1980 CJ7 

Did I read that right?? "nsamaster0414" you're only getting (or was) 10-12 mpg with a 258? I know like "jeepstake" says about fuel mileage and Jeep shouldn't be in the same sentence.
But I'm feeling damn proud to be getting 10 mpg with my 360!

Have to tried shaving a few thousands off the cylinder head? This is an old trick to raise the compression. .060 doesn't seem like much, but that could raise the ratio almost a 1/2 point, so from 8 3/4 to 9 1/4 compression ratio. That'll give you a few extra ponies.
You could save also some coin and do the 4.0 liter head and injection swap. That would be cool too. Best of both worlds! Compression and injection.
80' CJ7, 360 Howell Injected, 3" single exhaust, NP435 4spd, Dana 300 AA clocking ring, Currie twin stick, Tera-Low 4 -1 kit, Dana 44 front, cut 10" wider to 63", 4.10 gears, ARB, Yukon axles and Super H/D u-joints, Currie Dana 44 rear, cut wider to 60 1/2", 4.10 gears, ARB 35 spline, Currie 35 spline axle shafts, 2 1/2" x 11" Ford drum brakes, CJ-SOA conversion, Tom Woods F & R drive shafts, Warn 9500i winch, 6 point cage, Homemade F&R bumpers and tire carrier, 1" body, Pro Comp supension Kit, 12.5x35x15 BFG's, 15x10 OMF beadlocks, Body armor, OBA.
dawgates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.