JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   fuel economy (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/fuel-economy-1259297/)

sublimesurfer 08-30-2011 06:23 PM

fuel economy

Any tips on increasing my fuel economy on my 82 CJ7?

Ken4444 08-30-2011 06:30 PM

Common suggestions typically include:
  • Run smaller tires (same as, or closer to stock size)
  • Lose weight (winch, hard top, large bumpers, etc)
  • Use a stock suspension height (ie: no lift)
  • Use a transmission with a 5th gear
  • Be sure that your carburetor and ignition systems are running right
  • Keep the tire pressure to the maximum reccomended, or a few pounds more
edit..

There's also the issue of driving without a top verus a full top. I would think a hard top probably gives you less wind resistance, but clearly the weight of the top isn't going to help at all. Maybe a full soft top is the right balance.

Another item is lowering the elctrical load (lights, accessories, etc), but in the grand scheme of things it's probably not a huge factor.

Keep in mind the original MPG for CJs wasn't ever great to start with :)

JeepsOLot 08-30-2011 07:04 PM

Buy a Compass, :peaking: :rofl: Sorry, couldn't resist!

Jerry :cheers2:

benullman 08-30-2011 08:20 PM

drive it nicely. Dont have your foot in it. Its not a race car. Shift smoothly and know how to drive a clutch correctly and you will be repaid. My buddy gets 19MPG with a weber 32/36 258/T176 33's 4" lift and full hard top/doors

Ben

Rollbar 08-30-2011 11:37 PM

It's like driving a brick. Put the windshield down :)

P.S. 258/4spd/d-300/carter bbd/ 31"tires/3:31 gears/new ign/new timing chain/new vapor canister/rebuilt carb timing @ 12* (due to elevation)/new copper plugs/ford cap/rotor/wires/coil/new fuel tank sender/new hoses......

Getting 15 to 16mpg running 90 octane

I do need to check Peaches air pressure.

John Strenk 08-31-2011 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken4444 (Post 12101078)
edit..

There's also the issue of driving without a top verus a full top. I would think a hard top probably gives you less wind resistance, but clearly the weight of the top isn't going to help at all. Maybe a full soft top is the right balance.

Another item is lowering the elctrical load (lights, accessories, etc), but in the grand scheme of things it's probably not a huge factor.

Also try
Passenger Car tires.
Electric cooling fan. (saves on HP lost with mechanical fan and only runs when needed. )
Synthetic lubrication in tranny and axles.
Slow Down.
Leave for work when traffic is least busy.
Don't idle long
Drive as soon as engine will pull jeep
Make sure choke is working. Fully open fast depending upon temp.
Run a water heated intake manifold.
Unlock hubs
Adjust brakes.

John Strenk 08-31-2011 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken4444 (Post 12101078)
edit..

Also try
Passenger Car tires.
Electric cooling fan. (saves on HP lost with mechanical fan and only runs when needed. )
Synthetic lubrication in tranny and axles.
Slow Down.
Leave for work when traffic is least busy.
Don't idle long
Drive as soon as engine will pull jeep
Make sure choke is working. Fully open fast depending upon temp.
Run a water heated intake manifold.
Unlock hubs
Adjust brakes.

Astrodokk 09-05-2011 12:51 AM

Tow it behind an RV. Other than that, good luck! I've quit trying myself. I catch myself looking at the gas gauge like every few minutes to see how far the needle moved!

yahwhy 09-05-2011 06:08 PM

only drive downhill, in neutral with engine off

CherryCj7 09-05-2011 06:21 PM

I dont know what engine you have but when I put in my 4.3 I had more power and I get better gas mileage with my 31" M/T tires than with my 29" stock tires. I think the difference of 17 MPGs to 15 MPGs. So if you have a v-8 if you are running the stock size if you increase it reasonably you may get a little better... This is just through personal accounts, i am not even 100% sure about why this is. Hope this helps. - Vince

BagusJeep 09-05-2011 07:19 PM

Fill in your profile with all the info on your Jeep, anyone can then chime in with comments like 'those 37" swampers are not good for economy"

BagusJeep 09-05-2011 07:20 PM

If you have a 258ci mainly stock CJ7 with 31" maximum tyres you should see the high teens in highway driving at up to 60mph. Anything faster, larger etc. will suck the petrol

keith460 09-06-2011 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yahwhy (Post 12129182)
only drive downhill, in neutral with engine off

I did that once with my wife's 84 CJ-7 and almost crashed the Jeep on the guardrail. Forgot the steering wheel would lock if the key was turned to the off position. Yikes!

Never did that again....

Cutlass327 09-06-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryCj7 (Post 12129260)
I dont know what engine you have but when I put in my 4.3 I had more power and I get better gas mileage with my 31" M/T tires than with my 29" stock tires. I think the difference of 17 MPGs to 15 MPGs. So if you have a v-8 if you are running the stock size if you increase it reasonably you may get a little better... This is just through personal accounts, i am not even 100% sure about why this is. Hope this helps. - Vince

Was your speedo gears matched for the increase in tire size? If not, it will show fewer than actually traveled miles, not actual mileage, and this will make you think you have increased MPG.

CherryCj7 09-06-2011 10:49 AM

The gear was not replaced but i have compensated by adding 6 miles per 100 miles shown on the odometer.

The time now is 12:29 PM.