Fuel Delivery Problems!! I've tried everything.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel Delivery Problems!! I've tried everything....

Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
mannyfresh
1981 CJ5 

Fuel Delivery Problems!! I've tried everything....

Ok. 1981 CJ-5 won't turn over. I've dropped the tank and replaced all the rubber lines going to the tank and the sending unit. I've also replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, the rubber lines from the pump to the carb and return line. I've made sure that the return on the fuel filter is above the outlet. When I pull the outlet on the fuel pump, pour gas down the carb breather, and start her up, it will run for a couple of seconds and gas spurts out of the fuel pump oulet. I can keep her running doing this, but only by continuously pouring gas or carb cleaner down the breather (even when all the fuel lines are connected properly). So, I don't think its a vacuum or pressure problem.

Everything worked fine up until I dropped the tank. After the tank went back up, started up fine. Drove her around twice for a total of about 30 minutes. I think I ran out of gas because I was sputtering into the driveway... then the problem started.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

mannyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Float stuck?
Although this would not resolve that issue, rather than pouring gas into the carb for the short run why not fill the bowl. No mention of which carb is mounted but they all have a atmospheric vent providing a means to add about 2oz. of fuel. That might allow enough run time for the pump to fill the bowl.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

When you take your hand on the throttle and advance it do you see gas squirting out? If not you may have the acclerator pump on the carb out.
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I presume you have disconnected the fuel pump at the carb and checked that fuel spurts out?

If so then it is a carb blockage. It may be the inlet to the floats or a jet. Either could become blocked quite easily.

If the bowl is empty it is a blocked inlet.

If full then it is a blcockage somewhere else. If fuel sprays out when you move the throttle the accelerator pump is working.

Do you have the 3 way filter before the carb? With the fuel return line running from the 12 o clock position?
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Back to basics...

Manny,
Let's look at the basics, Is there fuel in the tank? Is it possible that the fuel line from the sending unit and pickup tube got kinked when you put the tank back up? If you remove the fuel filter and tap it on the sidewalk is it clear? Is it possible that when the jeep ran out of gas it sucked up some sediment and plugged the filter? Can you get fuel out of the line coming from the tank to the fuel pump? Is it plugged? disconnect from fuel pump and blow back to tank. Use some clean hose and use your lungs, not compressed air. When you blow into that line, do you feel resistance? If you do then the line has a blockage. If you don't, do you hear bubbles in the fuel tank? If you hear bubbles, the line is clear and there is enough fuel in the tank for the fuel pump to pick it up. If there is no resistance, air goes through, but no bubbles, then put more gas in the tank and try again.
If you were to take a length of fuel hose and attach to the line coming out of the fuel pump and stick it in a bucket, turn the key and let the engine crank for a minute, how much fuel would be in the bucket? In about a minute of pumping you should have at least a quart of fuel in the bucket. Just like solving a math problem, you have follow an order of operations. Start at the tank and work forward. Do know if the carb is OK? Could have some sediment plugged the needle seat? Good luck and God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
mannyfresh
1981 CJ5 

Thanks for the quick responses!

Carb is a remanufactured Holley Carb. When I pulled the throttle cable I don't see any gas squirting out. I do have a 3-way fuel filter and it's set up with the return at 12 o'clock. I took the fuel filter off a week ago and couldn't blow air through it, so that has already been replaced. Gas is in the tank. I've got a MC 2100 that was planning on rebuilding and swapping out soon. Looks like I might be doing that sooner expected.

I'll try some of the other suggestions in a couple days and will let you know how things turn out. I'm been trying those order of operations, but I'm working backwards from the carb to the tank.... I don't want to drop that tank again if I don't have to!!
Unread 04-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Your not getn fuel in carb or the accelerator pump is out. Take the top of the carb off and see if there is gas in the bowl. If so pump is out easy fix if that.
1981 CJ 7
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
mannyfresh
1981 CJ5 

UPDATE:

I rebuilt the Carter BBD carb. Put the carb back on and viola... i was getting fuel. My adjustments were off so I took the carb back off, made the adjustments, put it back on and I wasn't getting fuel anymore. I removed the inlet hose into the fuel pump and put it in a 2 gallon gas can. Jeep started up and ran great. Blew the lines and it didn't seem like air was getting to the fuel tank. So, I dropped the fuel tank again and blew the lines again and air was getting through. Then I took my outlet fuel line and return line from the sending unit and put them into the 2 gallon gas tank. Jeep started up and ran great. Then I hooked the two lines back up to the sending unit and put it in the 2 gallon gas tank. Jeep started up and ran great. Put the sending unit back on the fuel tank and reinstalled it. Jeep started up and ran great. Even took her around the neighborhood and let her run in the driveway for about 10 minutes before calling it a day. 2 hours later I go to start her up and she won't crank. Doesn't seem to be getting fuel again. Yes... there is gas in the tank.

I'm running out of ideas!!
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyfresh View Post
UPDATE:

I rebuilt the Carter BBD carb. Put the carb back on and viola... i was getting fuel. My adjustments were off so I took the carb back off, made the adjustments, put it back on and I wasn't getting fuel anymore. I removed the inlet hose into the fuel pump and put it in a 2 gallon gas can. Jeep started up and ran great. Blew the lines and it didn't seem like air was getting to the fuel tank. So, I dropped the fuel tank again and blew the lines again and air was getting through. Then I took my outlet fuel line and return line from the sending unit and put them into the 2 gallon gas tank. Jeep started up and ran great. Then I hooked the two lines back up to the sending unit and put it in the 2 gallon gas tank. Jeep started up and ran great. Put the sending unit back on the fuel tank and reinstalled it. Jeep started up and ran great. Even took her around the neighborhood and let her run in the driveway for about 10 minutes before calling it a day. 2 hours later I go to start her up and she won't crank. Doesn't seem to be getting fuel again. Yes... there is gas in the tank.

I'm running out of ideas!!
Manny,
If you take the gas cap off do you hear a pressure or vacuum sound? (I can't bear to to say "sucking sound") Could the vapor system be not working and the tank is sealed up so tight that as the fuel is used by the engine a vacuum is being created in the tank by the elimination of the fuel? Just a guess... God Bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
mannyfresh
1981 CJ5 

Jon,

I just took off the gas cap and I didn't hear anything. No suction or sound of pressure releasing. Strange right? Pressure should be built up in the tank from the fuel being sucked out right? Any ideas? I was thinking if my connections for the roll over protection and liquid check valves had anything to do with my problem...
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
stodg73
1979 CJ5 

I hate to say this, but I just did this yesterday, it sucked. I would drive for about 10 minutes or less and the Jeep would die. No gas in the carb when looking down the throat with the breather off, no gas in the carb. Trouble shot everything, gas in the tank(full tank), gas to the pump(replaced pump), gas to the fuel filter inlet, no gas past the fuel filter. So, I went to NAPA and got a clear fuel filter and hooked it up. This way I could see if there was fuel going through. Fuel was going through the clear filter, I did not hook up the return line, so I have to fix the return line. The Jeep started and ran just like always.
Unread 09-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #12
mashunitjeep
1972 CJ5 

My advice get rid or the carter my experience they nver stay tuned and the always breakin
mashunitjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #13
mannyfresh
1981 CJ5 

stodg73: So your return line at the filter or at the tank wasn't hooked up? My return is hooked up... i forgot about it when pulling gas out of the can and gas ended up returning all over the ground.

mashunitjeep: I'm planning on it one of these days! I'm pretty sure the Carter is working (at the moment) and the problem is somewhere else. I don't want to throw another variable in there by switching carbs until I get it running with the Carter first.
Unread 09-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #14
jalves3

1967 CJ5 

Since the problem started after you dropped the tank, I would concentrate there. My guess is the fuel line is kinked/twisted somewhere and after some time under stress, it collapses. The 2 times you have installed the tank everything was fine for a short period. It could be something with your check valves but I have zero knowledge of that system.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" Abraham Lincoln
jalves3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #15
stodg73
1979 CJ5 

I haven't been able to see if the return line is plugged from the filter to the tank yet. But with the clear fuel filter, you will be able to see if fuel is getting to/through the fuel filter, that way you know that you have fuel there.

Tags
cj5 , filter , fuel , pump , start problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.