Fuel Cannister - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Fuel Cannister

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

Fuel Cannister

There's been allot of talk about the fuel cannister, not sure what the PO did to mine based on the pic what can you guys tell me. Thanks.

nichboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

Seems he just removed all the hoses except for the fuel tank return. I've got all mine disconnected as well. If the vapors don't bother you, you don't have inspections in your state, and if you are not a tree hugger, don't worry about it!

In all seriousness though, it just absorbs the vapors coming from the carb and the fuel tank to minimize the impact on the environment. It shouldn't effect performance or fuel economy whatsoever.

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Take a look at this thread, BioTex has a great picture of the plumbing for the canister should you decide to hook the three open ports back up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bu...lated-1059810/
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

If the vapors don't bother you, you don't have inspections in your state, and if you are not a tree hugger, don't worry about it!
None of the above, so i will leave it as is. Now i need to figure out if the PO bypassed the computer chip. Thanks guys.........
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

The only thing you have hooked up to the Charcoal Canister is the vent tube from the Roll Over Check valve and not the fuel return as someone else has posted.

Unless you like the smell of raw gas I would get that thing hooked up like it should be. You are missing the vacuum lines for ported vacuum from the carburetor, full manifold vacuum and carburetor bowl vent.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Unless you like the smell of raw gas I would get that thing hooked up like it should be. You are missing the vacuum lines for ported vacuum from the carburetor, full manifold vacuum and carburetor bowl vent.

...Depending on which carb he's running, which we don't know. If it's an MC2100, like mine, that all goes out the window and he's all hooked up. I would, however, try to find some rubber caps if your check valves are intact. Mine aren't, so the canister is basically an orphan.
-N
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
...Depending on which carb he's running, which we don't know. If it's an MC2100, like mine, that all goes out the window and he's all hooked up. I would, however, try to find some rubber caps if your check valves are intact. Mine aren't, so the canister is basically an orphan.
-N
Keith is right, it should be connected as complete as one is able, fuel vapors are nauseous at best. Pressure build up in the tank is greatly reduced with the canister connected and functioning.

If the MC carb is being used it would have the "S" ported nipple and a 'tee' at that line would be used as a purge valve signal, preferably through a CTO but a direct hook up is near as good. The purge line could the be connected to any manifold vacuum source. Then if the carb has no bowl vent of course that canister nipple would need to be plugged.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmud View Post
If the MC carb is being used it would have the "S" ported nipple and a 'tee' at that line would be used as a purge valve signal, preferably through a CTO but a direct hook up is near as good. The purge line could the be connected to any manifold vacuum source. Then if the carb has no bowl vent of course that canister nipple would need to be plugged.
I maintain my position, but agree you should have it hooked up as much as you can. As I mentioned, both my check valves are rotted, so there is no link between the tank and the canister. No CTO, so nowhere practical to connect that port to. I also have a Clifford 6=8 intake manifold, no outsource as near as I can tell. I'd appreciate hearing if you know or would recommend otherwise, though. Where were you on the follow up to this thread, McMud?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/oc...lated-1050276/

Just regurgitating what MR last told me in that thread, but as I said (sorry to threadjack here, nichboy, but I think this'll help you out, too), I'd love to know the right way to do this. There is still a smell of gasoline coming from the engine bay after hot shut-off. Some from the rear, too, but mostly from the front - I can almost narrow it down to the carb itself.
-N
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

Not sure what carb i have, i'll post a pic latter.
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

Hope you guys can tell from this pic.

Unread 07-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Not an expert but that looks to be a relatively unmolested factory setup with a Carter BBD with the mixture control solenoid.

i would tend to say you should try to reconnect everything,emissions test or no, just to make everything run as it should.

When you have a complex stystem like this, all it takes is a malfunction in one of these seemingly innocuous and unneccessary sub-systems to throw the whole thing out of whack, driveability-wise.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

nichboy,
Here is a link that will allow you to reconize what each device is and it's intended function. Jeep Adventures Under the Hood

And an image that is contained in that web site which will be a good and quick reference in how to connect the cannister to your BBD.
vacuhose.jpg  
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.