JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Fsu cj5 1965 rebuild (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/fsu-cj5-1965-rebuild-1540500/)

fsucj5 06-23-2013 09:20 PM

Fsu cj5 1965 rebuild

Hello, my name is Nick. I'm brand new to the forum and new to the CJ jeep. I recently acquired a great 65 that was running a year ago but has sat since. I think the battery is shot so beyond replacing that and a carb clean I'm not really sure what I should do. I'm hoping to get a few good suggestions and progress from there. I will be starting this project around August and hope to have some pictures up soon. Thanks!

fsucj5 01-13-2014 07:26 PM

Hello again,sorry I haven't been able to update but for some reasoning can't upload anything from my iPad. I have been taking pictures and progressing slowly. Hopefully will be able to get them up soon. Currently I have everything torn down to the frame(axles and wheels still attached) but engine is out and disassembled and tranny hopefully this week. Body is off and will be sending it off to be sand blasted with the frame soon hopefully. I'm completely new to doing this and have very little idea what I'm doing so I apologize in advance if any questions I post seem stupid or simple as I'm a simple guy haha. Please feel free to drop any instructions or tips as well as links to threads you may think helpful as I can use all the help I can get and would be greatly appreciated. Currently I'm looking for all the gaskets, bearings, etc for the engine rebuild and was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to get a good kit. Don't need pistons but new rings, valves, etc should be replaced I was told. Do companies offer these kits at different levels of need? I've been searching the internet and it seems like it's all or nothing (or individual like only gaskets). Thanks again and I will get pics up ASAP!

strvger01 01-14-2014 02:51 PM

welcome to the forum!
know what you mean about your ipad. my wife has lots of trouble uploading from hers as well. i tried to talk her into a widows 8 or android, but she insisted on paying so much more for a silly logo that can't do half as much. oh well.
anyway, glad to hear your build is continuing. i'm envious as my jeep is in the middle of an engine swap that is on hold until late spring and warm weather. -20f and an unheated garage just don't go together.
keep us posted.

fsucj5 02-07-2014 10:30 AM

10 Attachment(s)
WOW that is cold! Where are you located? Hope this doesn't hurt your feelings too much but FL has had an amazing winter so far so I've been working in the 60's usually so that has likely helped me progress. Hoping to get the engine finished this weekend, tranny next week as well as frame/body and should be ready to install within a month I hope!

fsucj5 02-07-2014 10:32 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Finally getting some pics up!

fsucj5 02-07-2014 10:34 AM

10 Attachment(s)
These are most all pics from the tear down...

fsucj5 02-07-2014 10:36 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Almost done, lot of catchup lol

fsucj5 02-07-2014 10:37 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Now that the pics are up, back to work lol

strvger01 02-07-2014 03:47 PM

wow. nice looking jeep and your build is coming along fast!
i'm way up in northern Minnesota. we haven't seen a temp higher than 20F since early December. looks to stay that way for another couple of weeks for sure.

jeepdaddy2000 02-07-2014 05:04 PM

Chrome bumper and column shift indicates a Tuxedo model.

If your using a machine shop for your work, they can order all your needed engine items. If you don;t want to go that route, any of the reputable on line venders or your FLAPS can get what you need. I suggest you start with NAPA.

Charging system has been upgraded to an alternator. I would assume the rest of the system is 12V. The voltage regulator illks to be a Motorola, which was a stock alternator system on ECJ's.

Looks like a lot of oil in the cylinders. Be sure to mike the walls to insure they are within specs. Same goes for the valve guides. Make sure they are tight or you will be drawing lube up past the stems.

If your going to keep the vacuum wipers, insure the booster on the fuel pump is working. Otherwise thge wipers will stop moving every time your under load (like climbing a hill). These guys may have the kit if you need it http://www.maritimedragracing.com/th...automotive.htm

Now is a really good time to plan out any upgrades, such as a dual master cylinder, while the body is off the frame.

Don't forget to take a look at the steering as well. The bellcrank and steering box are prone to wear and cause a lot of slop.

you need to inspect the front axle knuckle seals and bearings as well. The seals go bad and the 90WT in the knuckle drains out, leaving the king pin bearings dry. This causes slop and hard steering with an eventual failure of the bottom bearing.

strvger01 02-08-2014 10:16 AM

yep cj5a for sure. mine is a 1966 cj5a, 3 on-the-tree, single lever tc case shifter, and i also have the 'safari' windscreen: the one that opens out from the bottom. not too many of these around for sure.

fsucj5 02-11-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000
Chrome bumper and column shift indicates a Tuxedo model. If your using a machine shop for your work, they can order all your needed engine items. If you don;t want to go that route, any of the reputable on line venders or your FLAPS can get what you need. I suggest you start with NAPA. Charging system has been upgraded to an alternator. I would assume the rest of the system is 12V. The voltage regulator illks to be a Motorola, which was a stock alternator system on ECJ's. Looks like a lot of oil in the cylinders. Be sure to mike the walls to insure they are within specs. Same goes for the valve guides. Make sure they are tight or you will be drawing lube up past the stems. If your going to keep the vacuum wipers, insure the booster on the fuel pump is working. Otherwise thge wipers will stop moving every time your under load (like climbing a hill). These guys may have the kit if you need it http://www.maritimedragracing.com/th...automotive.htm Now is a really good time to plan out any upgrades, such as a dual master cylinder, while the body is off the frame. Don't forget to take a look at the steering as well. The bellcrank and steering box are prone to wear and cause a lot of slop. you need to inspect the front axle knuckle seals and bearings as well. The seals go bad and the 90WT in the knuckle drains out, leaving the king pin bearings dry. This causes slop and hard steering with an eventual failure of the bottom bearing.

Wow what great tips thanks!!!

I ordered my engine parts. Didn't want to go to that hassle but do have a machine shop for fabricating stuff as needed.

I was confused on the charging system though. You pointed out the 12 v upgrade and the stock regulator...it is my understanding that the regulators are internal on the alternator and thus the old regulator can be deleted?

I was thinking along the same lines as far as upgrades while fully disassembled. Was leaning towards front disc brakes, dual master, breather box(fabricating a box to run all ventilation lines to that way I can just run one snorkel line up), shocks(think the springs will be ok for now), maybe some electrical but that's not a big deal(ill likely just include some blank wires in a conduit for another day lol).

I was unaware of the steering problems so thank you for the heads up! I wanted to put my hands on every inch of the vehicle but I'm leaning towards bypassing the differentials and just changing the fluid, is there anything of concern you may recommend?

On a side note, I pulled all the gauges and ignition cylinder of the shelf last night to clean them up as I was bored but ran into some complications. I attempted to search the forums and internet but couldn't really find anyone trying to refurbish their gauges and how to. Is this not common to at least want to try to fix them to keep original? Hell, I'm having difficulty just opening them. Does anyone have any advise?

Thanks!

The time now is 10:59 AM.