FSJ Differential Carrier Lim-Slip on TJ Dana 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > FSJ Differential Carrier Lim-Slip on TJ Dana 44

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-19-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
DonCorleonne
2001 TJ Wrangler 

FSJ Differential Carrier Lim-Slip on TJ Dana 44

I have a bent DANA 44 carrier on my TJ 01. I found a DANA 44 loaded carried in a FSJ website, will it work / fit on my jeep?

DonCorleonne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 07:10 AM   #2
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Yes it will but I never heard of a bent carrier. I think the JK dana 44's did not start till 07. TJ d44s are regular standard cut d44 gears with the standard d44 carrier.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
DonCorleonne
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I was also surprized when i heard the mechanic tell me i have a bent carrier.. what happened exactly was the teeth on my ring and pinion got chipped while i was driving on asphalt. When i baught new ring and pinion set, it did not fit on the carrier, I took it to a machine shop to check the dimentions and see whats wrong, he told me that the carrier is bent, this is why my ring is not fitting it. does that make any sense?
Unread 06-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Must've bent the ring gear mounting flange? At any rate... the FSJ carrier would physically fit your housing. Both Jeeps use a 30 spline D44. However, I see in your profile that you're running 4.56 gears. If the FSJ carrier is stock, it is probably for the 3-series gears (up to 3.73). If that's the case, you'll either have to run a "ring gear spacer" or run the "thick" 4.56 gear setup. Just something to keep in mind.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
DonCorleonne
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks BESRK, that was really helpful, the part I am getting is not stock, it says in the description that is suitable for 3.92 and up gear ratio.
Unread 06-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

My brother warped the front diff carrier on his 68 CJ-5when he broke a ring gear tooth. Apparently the broken tooth got caught between the ring and pinion and warped the open diff case. So it happens. You might check the ring gear bolt size on your old carrier and any new one you intend to use. Dana went from 3/8 to 7/16" bolts on 44's in recent years. Foggybottombob mentions the JK 44. As I understand, the rear of those are a totally different axle and should have been renamed--bigger ring gear, bigger pinon shaft among the differences.

Last edited by 80cj; 06-19-2010 at 02:07 PM..
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
westnt

i think i've got a bent carrier also...78 Buick Regal 7.5" lim slip 3.23; broke the pinion teeth; when installing new ring & pinion the backlash was huge on one side & zero at 180 deg rotated. my thought is that pinion teeth got between gears & bent the carrier. now the job isnt 250 but 400 more for an auburn lim slip carrier. that shift kit in my TH200 behind a 4.3 with 4 bbl tore that **** up!!! bottom line; if you broke teeth, chances are that it bent the carrier. i'm surprised i don't see more posts about this
westnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
CSP

This site needs to lock down threads that are more than a year old......
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.