Frustrated with AMC 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Frustrated with AMC 20

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Powerplay72
1983 CJ7 

Frustrated with AMC 20

Hey all, I'm a newbie to the forum and to jeeps in general. Thanks to this forum, I have just finished up a frame off resto on my 83 CJ-7. I will show build later on a build thread. The issue I currently have is as follow:

So excited that she was road worthy, I took my son for a ride around the neighborhood. As the tranny shifted into 2nd, I heard a terrible grinding noise, with a shake in the rear end. To stop you here, I have 1 piece axles, and I rebuilt my 700r4, and had a tranny shop verify the tranny was built right. I was not in the gas at all.

I was still able to drive, and the tranny shifted to 3rd with out any problems. When I stopped at a stop sign, I went through the gears again and the same sound was heard, ONLY in 2nd, and it felt as though my passenger wheel was "spinning". It shifted fine into 3rd. I decided to step on it and see if the tranny would down shift into 2nd, it did, made that noise again and felt like wheel spin again.

I took a video of the issue and shared it with my tranny guy. He said that he put the tranny under his truck and it drove fine, but I had a little water in the tranny fluid, so he did a fluid swap, and drove it a few days, and swapped fluid again. Then he replaced into my jeep and drove it again. All the while he had no issues. When he watched and listened to the video he said, its spun the hub on the factory 2 piece axle, he was sure of it.

I pulled the axle tonight, and it is for sure a 1 piece. It even has a recessed area on the face of it with an M and I believe #'s 666.... don't like that number.

Anyway, the tapered bearings look good, but there is like a 3/8 space between my bearing, seal, seal retainer and Brake backing plate. I am able to spin the seal, retainer and backing plate.

Is the bearing not pressed down far enough? How far do you press it onto the axle. I purchased a new axle 1 piece kit, and am going to have the bearings and such pressed on.

I have pictures but do not know how to attach them to the site. I would be happy to text anyone the pics if they wish to post them until I figure out how too.

I have a very healthy 350 SBC, 700r4, 4:10 gears and 33x12.50 tires.

I appreciate you guys/gals greatly- Powerplay

Unread 10-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

To post pictures click the up load image box at the bottom of the quick reply box. I think you have to have over 5 post to attach an image so that could be why you aren't seeing it yet. As far as the axle bearing goes, most axles have a seat where the bearing stops and want press any further, didn't really follow your spins the bearing retainer comment it should be bolted to the housing through the backing plate. If the bearing isn't seated properly I would think it would be obvious because the drum wouldn't meet the backing plate properly and the tire would stick out further than the other side. IF this were actually the case it would not let the spins go all the way into the carrier which could cause it to strip the splines. It is however unlikely that it would jump the threads and then to fine, I suppose it could pushs itself out and then click back in but that is really just in theory, if it jumped out I think it would chew the axle end and not go back in or wear it out in short order. When you pull the axles look for twist or chewed splines.

Good luck!
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Sorry, I stuttered on the computer!
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Powerplay72
1983 CJ7 

The axle is removed. The splines that are on the DIFF side are just a clean and perfect as anyone could ask for. Ill try and post the pic's.

Thanks - Powerplay
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Powerplay72
1983 CJ7 

Here are some pics.....I hope.
008.jpg   007.jpg  
005.jpg

006.jpg

Unread 10-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Only does it in 2nd gear= its the transmission. If it was the rear axle, it would do it regardless of what gear the transmission was in.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

How do the splines on the other axle look?

It seems to me that if it only happens with 2nd gear, it's got to be the transmission (maybe a bad synchro or something). I'd take it to another transmission shop for a 2nd opinion.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
Powerplay72
1983 CJ7 

Splines are clean and not messed up in any fashion. Im trying to post a video of the sound that I shared with my tranny guy.
Unread 10-29-2013, 05:13 AM   #9
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Only does it in 2nd gear= its the transmission. If it was the rear axle, it would do it regardless of what gear the transmission was in.
X2.
I think you need to have another talk with your tranny guy.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I think I'd find another tranny guy.....

Sounds to me like he may have sold you some bad equipment and is deflecting to another item in the drive train.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
Powerplay72
1983 CJ7 

In his defense, I only pulled the drivers side axle. I guess I should pull the other side. I'll have that done here in about 20 min or so. I rebuilt the tranny myself and had him look it over. I built the level III Raptor as touted by Monster Transmission. Every Part in the tranny was new..... WAS....... As I think about this further, I do not recall the noise when the tranny down shifted. Regardless, I'll pull the passenger side real fast and report back. I appreciate it.....Powerplay
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #12
Powerplay72
1983 CJ7 

Passenger side axle looks good as well. Gonna have a stern talk with my tranny guy. I wanna get this Jeep on the road. It's been 2 years since I started this resto. My CFO (wife) will not put up with this much longer I imagine. Hey... I can always find another wife right? (j/k) I appreciate all the input, that what makes this site so awesome. - Powerplay
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
It's been a few years now when I purchased my '78 CJ 5 and had been having some rear axle problems. Shortly after acquiring this CJ axle grease was seeping out of the hub. Upon removing the axles we noticed that the inner wheel bearings were WELDED to the axle, not by heat/friction, but by someone with a welder! A local shop re kitted this axle (narrow AMC 20) with a Yukon 1 piece axle kit. 1st try and the bearing free play was too tight - burned up the wheel bearings. 2nd try, too loose - axle backed out of the housing shortly after leaving shop. 3rd try and things went well for about two months and then noticed some seepage at the rear hub again. Sure enough, the free play had increased. This go, a non stock bearing keeper was installed to hold bearing firmly in place -we hoped! The shop chief noticed that there were two half circle ( ) inserts incorporated into this axle that were part of the 'welded' axle, no mention of these in the AMC service manual that I luckily had acquired since getting this Jeep, and another odd thing is correct free play couldn't be obtained without these half circle inserts. We contacts Randy's Ring and Pinion and learned that a spacer was missing for the kit we had purchased from them earlier. We had to pull the dang thing apart AGAIN and with Randy's on the phone for guidance we set the bearing clearance at the long side of tolerance, 0.62
One week later I smelled that old 'hot bearing' odor I had become so familiar with.

Pulled the axles again and saw the damn roller bearings formed a 'conga line'. So I made a trip out to Mac's Jeep Parts and we pulled a Dana 44 out of an old Jeep Scrambler, installed a Lock Right differential and new bearings throughout and I've not had any issues since (knock on wood). After turning in the AMC 20 for core we noticed that the troubles lied in that the reason the inner wheel bearings were welded to the axle shaft were that the axle tubes had become or had always been (from reading other accounts on the web) crooked from the differential~!
I sure hope yours is an easier path!
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #14
Powerplay72
1983 CJ7 

Darnedest thing. Tranny guy pulled up to the house to tow my baby to the shop. I said I want you to drive it so you can hear it. It had been raining all day. We took it for a spin. Woo Hoo.... first went great...... Second EVEN BETTER...(?).... Third soft and easy. Even romped on her while at 50mph and in 3rd, she dropped down and those tires connected and just about threw us in the ditch.

So what's up? He said could be a mount or something, with the roads wet there was no binding allowing the wheels to spin easily. Anyone thoughts. He took her anyway to look over all the mounts and such. I'm confused..... Help
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #15
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

That's what usually happens to me... problem is constant until a mechanic is there. I think cars like to make us look stupid sometimes.
I wouldn't think road conditions would make much difference to the transmission grinding (especially since you said it was happening wile shifting though the gears at a stop sign). Could be a temperature thing... mine tends to shift a little crunchy when it's hot.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.