frozen shifter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > frozen shifter

KrawlOff-Road.com Jeep Beach SaleFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 12-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
CooterBrown

1965 CJ5 

frozen shifter

so again my little cj brings me a surprise in the cold. she doesnt have any problem starting first try in 0-10 degree weather but it seems like the shifter does, i had to let it warm up for about 15 minutes before i could get it out of reverse (i dont have a parking break so rev is) is this the norm, or is there somethign i can put on it to make relieve the. i just felt like i was gunna snap the shifter off. but then again its parked right next to my 2010 so i can always just take it but then i feel bad haha

CooterBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Two things come to mind and I am guessing here so IMHO.

1) Gear Lube is too thick for the area you live in.

2) Water in the gear lube and it is getting up and around the shift ball and freezing.

You said CJ so my first thought is thick gear oil but you will have to have it checked and see.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
CooterBrown

1965 CJ5 

im running 75-90 wich is what they recomended to me. its almost like it compeltely siezes up like no movement at all and then after it runs for a few minutes with the clutch pressed in it works fine?
Unread 12-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
kirkhbauer
1984 CJ7 

Im bellow zero in utah and have somewhat the same problem. mine is do to a bad shift boot alowing water to get into the shift rails and shift tower. Ai have since replaced my boot but I was always able to rock it back and forth "letting clutch in and out" and it came free..Might need to kick the new car out of the warm garage and let the Cj thaw out. if it does not them its internal, like a stuck or bound shift fork
Unread 12-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

i had the same problem before and it was to thick of gear oil. try a high grade 40w.
nshefbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

0-10 degrees ! If only for a day or two may not be a problem but if you have those temps for extended periods I am not sure if the 75-90 is a good choice.

How about switching to a synthetic of equivalent rating ?
Better in the cold for both the trans and the arm.

Also, like was said do you wheel this in water, if so start checking seals and gaskets.

Just thinking back when I had a Mustang and I rebuilt the trans, I thought I did a great job and basically I did but I had forgotten to torque the front seal retainer bolts which also held in the main shaft; the bolts loosened up after a few power shifts and didn’t allow the shift forks to function properly.
So thinking on this same lines, did you do any work on the trans lately, maybe a loose mounting bolt, maybe a rear mount not tight (misalignment).
Again, i am just throwing out ideas.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

this can happen if your transmission is to full of oil. I a not sure why but it happened to me (filled it in the cold) You may want to check the level.

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
CooterBrown

1965 CJ5 

i know its not too full of oil, because i just checked it not too long ago, buts its really wierd its not stiff if rock hard like its completely locked up. then its get smoother then after its warmed up its fine. once i get back from this patrol, im gunna put her new volt reg in it so old girl will actually start to get her in my garage and drain it maybe try some synthetic or something a little thinner. is there a way to check the gasket, i have wheeled her in water a little not like snorkeling or anything but some big ditches and stuff. and mud. any advice or stories as to what you did would help./
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ65_JK10 View Post
i know its not too full of oil, because i just checked it not too long ago, buts its really wierd its not stiff if rock hard like its completely locked up. then its get smoother then after its warmed up its fine. once i get back from this patrol, im gunna put her new volt reg in it so old girl will actually start to get her in my garage and drain it maybe try some synthetic or something a little thinner. is there a way to check the gasket, i have wheeled her in water a little not like snorkeling or anything but some big ditches and stuff. and mud. any advice or stories as to what you did would help./
wow you haven't fixed this yet? just change the oil and/or use a thinner oil. 5 minutes of your time and this could be done. i had the same problem and it eases up because the oil heats up as you're driving.
nshefbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
CooterBrown

1965 CJ5 

yea my ship has been underway in and out the past couple weeks and the last time we were home i went and was going to drain the tranny. but she wouldnt start so i spent the weekend figuring that one out. good times. so now that i got the parts to fix that on the way im moving back a project to finish haha. gotta love old crap.
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #11
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I don't know much about cold weather related problems but would hitting the trans case with a hair dryer or heat gun help?
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
CooterBrown

1965 CJ5 

yea that would work but i would have to do it every time i started it. and that would suck
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
Trigger1
1981 CJ5 

I just had this problem with mine last week. Mine had a bunch of sand/dirt/water that was frozen where the shifter connects to the linkage. My shifter ended up breaking off one of the tabs. You might want to pull your shifter an plate on top of the tranny and check.
Trigger1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.