front turn signals - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > front turn signals

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
scrappycj5
1976 CJ5 

front turn signals

Maybe I am not asking the right question in search , But I am trying to find what to look for when my rear turn signals work fine but the fronts do not work. The front parking lights work but nothing blinks in the front when I put the turn signals on ?

Ideas ?

Last edited by scrappycj5; 08-18-2011 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: correct
scrappycj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

Make sure the screws are grounding good into the body.

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
bamasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
james04si

1977 CJ5 

Any chance they get brighter when you apply the brakes? If so make sure your hazards are completely out.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
scrappycj5
1976 CJ5 

The grounding screws are fine, parking lights work fine. it seems I am not getting power to the green/white wire which is the left blinker, and no power to the solid green wire which is the right blinker. what would cause that ?
Unread 08-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
james04si

1977 CJ5 

Might be the actual turn signal switch in the column or the plug under the dash where it plugs into the harness. Also did him make sure your hazard button is fully pulled out?
Unread 08-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
scrappycj5
1976 CJ5 

the turn signal switch is new, but will check it and the plug. The rear blinkers are working fine. also, it looks as if the front blinkers also make the lights in the dash work, I think. I been studying the wiring diagram and thats how it looks. the hazzard is pulled out, I checked that.
Unread 08-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
james04si

1977 CJ5 

If I remember correctly power starts at the turn signal flashed. From there it goes to the turn signal switch. Front and rear signals are completely separated from that point on. Once down the column it splits the indicators for the dash from the front lights. So if dash works the harness under the dash should be good too. Next it goes through the firewall and splits to the grill and the fenders. The grill provides the ground for both the fender and grill signals. The dash light gets its ground through the dash.
Unread 08-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

your your front side markers signal but not the front lights? it has to be a ground issue then, maybe try scrapping a little paint where the light bucket is contacting the grill, and make sure the screw is touching metal, no paint between it and the grill.

if thats not it, get a test light and figure out where you are not getting power
Unread 08-22-2011, 01:54 AM   #9
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
your your front side markers signal but not the front lights?
The front side markers blink? Really? If mine don't what does that mean? They are not grounded? (because of my recent repaint).
sanddrag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:00 AM   #10
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

If hooked up as originally made then yes, the front side markers will flash.
The front side markers are NOT grounded. In fact if they are, they will not flash. The only reason for the fenders to be grounded is for the ground for the grill.

Scrappy, do your dash lights TS indicators Work? or did you just deduce that they should.
I would get a test light and check the TS plug into the harness.

here is my favorite TS post:
Quote:
Quote:
First of all, familiar yourself with the mechanism inside the column. Here is a link to an ignition cylinder replacement but the same dis-assembly process is followed for troubleshooting some turn signal problems.

http://civilianjeep.info/Strenk/Stee...placement.html

Do you have tilt or non-tilt steering? Just what is your signal doing or not doing??
Here is a good discussion on turn signal switch:

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f7/tur...p-please-8872/

Here is a little bit of info on the insides

Here is what you would see if you pull off your steering wheel and locking plate.

This one is missing a cancelation spring and would not turn off when the wheel came back to center. THe spring had rusted off some time after it got all wet.
Here are were both springs are located:

The best thing to do is to flush out a lot of the dirt with contact cleaner.
There are a couple of springs on the top that keep the switch in the right position until you return the steering to center after a turn and another spring to keep pressure on the contact pad.

It wouldn't hurt to put a little moly grease on here after you clean the switch.

If you would to take it apart, something I DON'T recomend, you will see the contact pads on one part:

You can see were the different contact pads go.
This is the wiper arm. Looks rather complicated at first.

There are some small springs that insure contact.

Get some mud or if the springs rust away, you got problems.
The wipers work like this:
In the center position the rear lights are connected to the brake switch contact:

Turn the lever to the right and the right rear light is now connected to the TS flasher pad and also with the front right light. THe left rear light is still connected to the brake switch:

Turn it to the left and just the opposit happens. The left rear light is now connected to the TS flasher pad and also with the front left light. THe right rear light is still connected to the brake switch:
[IMG]http:/www.civilianjeep.info/Strenk/TurnSignal/TSWiperConnectionLeftTurn.jpg[/IMG]

You can see how dirt can just screw things up in here.

Now your probably wondering what that little extra pad on the right is for.
Well it's for the hazard lights.
Here is what it looks like on the back:

Here is what the contacts look like:

These short the front and rear lights together and connect it to the hazard flasher by making contact with the connections on the back of the turn signal switch:

you can see the plastic shield with the holes to make contact.
It effectively connects these points:

Here are some wire connections but I notice the color codes are not standardized. The several TS switches I have are all different but the locations are all in the same place:

You can see some more detail here if your poking around with a meter or test light:

Here is the plug on the end of the switch:

It plugs into the harness like this:

What's that Orange wire on the far left? I think it's for illumination for the PRNDL indicator if you have an automatic.
On this one I broke the insulation on the wires because they are so old.

Here is a simple schematic of the whole mess:

Sorry for the long post....
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 05:04 AM   #11
scrappycj5
1976 CJ5 

the dash turn signal indicators are not working. nothing up front blinks. when I put on the parking lights all the front lights work fine. the only thing that is not working is the front turn signal lights and the dash t/s indicator lights.

I did install a brand new turn signal switch a few months ago when I started replacing stuff to get things to work. I have also install new flashers, both hazard and blinker.
Unread 08-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well if the dash indicators and the front TS lights don't work and the rear ones do work then the 'disconnect has to be at the plug on the steering column or the TS switch itself. I'm betting on the TS plug is not pushed together all the way. There were two styles of plugs out there if I remember. the TS from my 76 harness did not fir my 84 harness.

Get a test light and plug it into the column plug connections and see if your getting power to the column plug.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
scrappycj5
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Well if the dash indicators and the front TS lights don't work and the rear ones do work then the 'disconnect has to be at the plug on the steering column or the TS switch itself. I'm betting on the TS plug is not pushed together all the way. There were two styles of plugs out there if I remember. the TS from my 76 harness did not fir my 84 harness.

Get a test light and plug it into the column plug connections and see if your getting power to the column plug.

Thanks John, I will check it out. The turn signal switch I bought I am pretty sure it was for my year, but will check to make sure to see if everything is making contact.
Unread 08-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
scrappycj5
1976 CJ5 

Well I ended up ordering a new trun signal switch. The one I had put in was faulty. not sue how but I tried a brand new one and everything works.
Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.