front pinion angle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > front pinion angle

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 11-19-2002, 05:33 PM   #1
duitinmud

front pinion angle

Wondering,is it safe enough to put wedges on my front springs to correct the pinion angle. Found that, to be the problem of my wondering steering. And how do Scout's get away with running a 0 degree caster and the Jeep needs 7 degrees? Thanks crew.

duitinmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2002, 06:38 PM   #2
Jami
1973 CJ6 

Yes, I would use some shims to adjust your pinion angle. I am not sure what size you will need but you should definitely do it.
Unread 11-19-2002, 08:06 PM   #3
CSP

No you should not do it. Caster has to come before pinion angle. Scouts get away with it because they are longer and wider. They barely get away with it though. Ever driven one? They wander all over the place and many Scout builders go to the trouble of cutting and rotating the knuckles to build some caster into their axles.

Edit: Just re-read your post and are you wanting to correct the pinion angle or the caster angle to get better handling? Correcting the pinion angle (turning it up) results in less positive caster meaning poor handling. Either way, shims shouldn't be used in the front. Most are made of aluminum and will become brittle and break with time. Then they can fall out and make things interesting when you try to turn or brake.

Last edited by CSP; 11-19-2002 at 08:36 PM..
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2002, 08:22 PM   #4
rustyCJ

how long are your shackles? do you need them to fit your tires or can you put in shorter ones? the shims will help but wont solve the problem. basically, your ride wont be all that safe until you dump the extremely long shackles.
Unread 11-19-2002, 08:37 PM   #5
duitinmud

fr'end

What I did was basically a MORE shackle reverse, but used wrangler spring hangers in front(4" drop) and the shackles are through the frame(4" length) . Seamed alright till I put some trails on it, it's fine on the trails,but on the road she turns a straight road into a slalom course. I plan on SOA next summer(ran out of weather)so for now the wedges might just do.I can't shorten the shackles much more since I put them in the frame(centered)and I'm lookin' at about 2" below frame. I'll be able to adjust for the angle with the SOA now that this has raised it ugly head. Man,I thought I spent enough time on that front end but what can I say.Thanks for the info,BC.CSP,that's what I meant the "caster",right now my pinion is up4-5 degrees, with wedges it would bring it back down and I'd get my caster back.Also Avalanche(sorry 'bout spelling)has steel wedges instead of aluminium,good point.

Last edited by duitinmud; 11-19-2002 at 08:45 PM..
Unread 11-19-2002, 08:41 PM   #6
CSP

Shorter shackles would actually make the problem worse since you have a shackle reversal. You want the upper ball joint to rotate forward, not towards the rear of the Jeep to get more positive caster.
Unread 11-19-2002, 08:56 PM   #7
duitinmud

hold the caster oil!

CSP, I thought and have seen the top joint leaned towards the rear 7 degrees. Mine right now is straight up(wish I could show you)I need to get that back. Ain't this a hoot? Thank the BIG man the rest of the CJ turned out fine,I can't take to many more surprises. And anybody else out there, trust me you can't do to much homework before diggin' into a rebuild. One more hour on this front end and it would have been right, but hey, it's my trail/part time road Jeep. Thanks everybody!
Unread 11-19-2002, 09:08 PM   #8
CSP

Whoops! I was thinking one thing and typed another. You're right, the upper joint needs to go rearward, not forward to get positive caster. Longer shackles would actually help in this case.
Unread 11-21-2002, 04:17 PM   #9
duitinmud

got it!

Went to 4WHD and the wedges came in a day! That surprised me, put them in and waaaaalaaaaa, just what the doctor ordered.Except I forgot to get new studs and spent the better half of the a'noon looking for some in the bolt collection.Thanks all,I'm in a better mood now.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.