Front marker/turn lights not working, driving me insane. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Front marker/turn lights not working, driving me insane.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
ShowroomShine
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Front marker/turn lights not working, driving me insane.

Ok, When I got the Jeep CJ5 the turn signals didnt work, but the lights lit up (just wouldnt signal).

Now fast forward, after installing the original harness and lights, and only the drivers side would light up. The passenger light would work if I pressed the bulb really hard down into the socket.

So I checked and cleaned the grounds, and retried both with the headlights plugged in and not plugged in. Same thing, driver worked passenger no work. Bought some new turn signal light assembly's from Quadratec with new harnesses and bulbs.

Now I go to install the new assembly, and neither one work. Nothing. On a voltmeter I was only getting 6v out of the drivers, and a flinchy reading of 0 or 6v on the passenger.

Now I havent checked the fuse for the lights at the box yet ( cant find a diagram) and I'm hoping this is it. Could it be a switch, or do I need to have the column hooked up or something else hooked up to make the lights work?

ShowroomShine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Herb31
1977 CJ7 

Check the orientation of the contacts within the housings. Mine would light up, but not flash. So, I removed the bulbs, pushed on the wires from the back of the housing and the contacts push right out. I twisted them 180 degrees and pulled them back into the housing and BAM! Fixed.
Herb31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Here's a diagram on the basics
http://oljeep.com/edge_76_tsm.html
Unread 04-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

If your turn signal harness is not connected, they won't work.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1CJ7 View Post
If your turn signal harness is not connected, they won't work.
Especially this plug that is hidden behind the grill and radiator. Check it for looseness or corrosion as it is a notorious plug that will give you the symptoms you are having.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
geneapodaca
1978 CJ7 

You're getting 6v so something is connected. Your connections are dirty, grounds bad, the fuse connection is weak, the headlight switch connections might be bad, the wiring corroded, etc. I'm guessing the fix will be similar for the turn signals too.
geneapodaca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
EveryDayCJ
1982 CJ5 

I feel your pain... After a couple of hours of tracing, jiggling and wiggling I ended up running a ground from the bezel mount screw to the frame. I'd take a picture; but I'd have to disturb the wasp nest. Good luck!
EveryDayCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 03:19 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneapodaca View Post
You're getting 6v so something is connected. Your connections are dirty, grounds bad, the fuse connection is weak, the headlight switch connections might be bad, the wiring corroded, etc. I'm guessing the fix will be similar for the turn signals too.
One of the ways to get only 6 volts at a light is if there is a bad ground. Poor connection might also contribute but that could lead to any voltage at the light were as 6 volts is exactly half of the requires voltage, just what you would get with a bad ground.

Ground for the turn signal is through the special mounting screw that has a long shoulder like this, any other screw will give inconsistent results.

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.