front hub stays locked - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > front hub stays locked

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

In that case-Get the Mile Marker hubs and be done with it.
http://shop.milemarker.com/p/6-bolt-...onal-harvester

LG

LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #17
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

oops! my head must have been in a dark stinky place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Did you ever get the FSM?
That tells you to service the hubs when the wheel bearings & spindle bearing are serviced.
LG
i have removed it and found that the FSM is on my desktop with it's own icon that says "84/86 factory service manual. sometimes i feel like we are all just sitting around a campfire, drinking beer and doing Q & A sessions. ill remember forum etiquette.
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #18
thord
1986 CJ7 

The plastic parts on mine wore out after 25+ years and would not hold the spring back. Gotta order some more.
thord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #19
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorj View Post
What hubs do you have? Is it the Factory 6 bolt hub? I had this same issue with the factory locking hubs and ended up taking them off to find that someone turned them the wrong way and the plastic Nut inside came off. Its the plastic nut that threads onto the switch part that you turn.
My Factory ones did the same thing. It was an easy fix once I realised how they worked.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #20
Bigun

so the retaining ring was not holding the hub shaft on thus locking the hub? if so, what was the easy fix?
Bigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #21
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
so the retaining ring was not holding the hub shaft on thus locking the hub? if so, what was the easy fix?
Let me find a break down of the hub. I may even have some pictures of mine. They easy fix was just putting it back togother. What seemed to happen was the PO must have turned the locking know the wrong way a few to many times. Inside the hub it a sping that pushes the gear onto the axle shaf to put it in 4wd or 2wd. This is what I did. I removed the Hub not not know what I was doing or what to expect. If the spring inside is not compressed you will know it as soon as you start removing the bolts. Just remove them slowly. There is not a lot of presurre, but enought to make it push off when you are taking it off. This is were I had to figure out how it worked. There was a large plastic nut that screws on to the the 4wd indicator knob. What I did was set the indicator to 2wd. compressed that spring and tighted the nut. Now this was the tricky part and I don't remember how I did it. But I will look for a break down pic and see if I can remember.
Unread 08-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #22
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

OK so here is an exploded view of the Factory Hub. My issue was the Nut Clutch unscrewed for the Dial Screw. What I had to do was compress is back together and thread the Nut back on. Its not hard nore does it take special tools. I think what I did was I took it completely apart and removed the control dial as well. I put the Nut Clutch on the Dial Screw only 1 or 2 threads. The pushed the Spring, clutch cap, dial screw with the nut atached in to the hub. I used a large socket to press it up as I layed it on the its back on the bench. I lined up the control dial to 2wd it think. Them I replaced the screw.
Like said its not hard, but once I stated playing with it i firgured it out. I didn't have a clue how it worked at first.

But here is my suggestion. Take it off and see what you have. You may grease build up, broken parts, or it just unscrewed. Worst case is if you can't fix it. you put it back together and buy new ones.
hub.jpeg

Unread 08-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #23
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

i just did this last night because my screw was stripped. it is a PITA the get it all lined back up correctly. with your control dial pointing to 4 make sure you have the nut clutch at the bottom of the dial screw and when you index the hex on top of the dial screw. If you want to do it with the dial in 2wd the nut clutch should be a the top of the dial screw when you reassemble. I used a couple of 1/2 used rolls of electrial tape to push everything up and in until i could get the screw started.

This is a different sub-system then the spring set up with the 2 gears that actually lock the shaft and hub together.
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #24
agear
1984 CJ7 

Assuming these are the hubs you have-I had a problem with my hubs locking and unlocking. The retaining ring on mine was bent ,even flimsier than it should be and no good. I replaced the hubs with another set ,that had that retaining ring in good shape , and they're working fine now. Good luck finding just that retaining ring though. I would just get some more locking hubs aswell.
1ae-w-hub-assy.gif

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #25
Bigun

thanks for the help guys, the control knob screw had gotten loose just enough to engage the hub, now its lock-tighted and checked often
Bigun is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.