Front end shake...is it the hubs??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Front end shake...is it the hubs???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 07-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
TheGhost
1983 CJ7 

Front end shake...is it the hubs???

I've completely rebuilt the front end on my 83 CJ-7 (just because it needed it, not to attempt to fix this problem) - had it to the alignment shop - everything is good. I get a slight wobble above 50 MPH - it can be seen and heard. The rims were checked when I had the tires put on (31 X 10.50) and all were straight and the tires balanced pretty well without much weight (less than 1.5 ounces anywhere). Just for grins, I locked the hubs in today and to my surprise, it almost completely went away. So - could it be the hubs????

TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

With the hubs unlocked, crawl under with a small pry bar and pry up on the front axle U joints at the knuckle. See how much play there is. I had the bearing inside the spindle that supports the axle shaft go out on me before and it allows the axle shaft to droop.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
TheGhost
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
With the hubs unlocked, crawl under with a small pry bar and pry up on the front axle U joints at the knuckle. See how much play there is. I had the bearing inside the spindle that supports the axle shaft go out on me before and it allows the axle shaft to droop.
I'll check that out today - but, wouldn't that be just the opposite of what I described??? It would seem that if the bearing was bad causing the axle to "droop", you'd get the "wobble" when the hubs were locked in and that axle is turning, not the other way around.
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
josh97
1986 CJ7 

My brothers cj7 had a bad vib at hiway speed..come to find out the front drive shaft slip yoke was bad...The hubs were unlocked but still had enough kenetic energy to turn the front shaft that was causing the driveshaft to move and hense the vibration...

Tags
ball joints , death wobble , knuckles , shake , shimmy , steering , steering knuckles , Tie rod end , tie rods , ujoints , wheel bearing , wobble

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.