Front Drive shaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Front Drive shaft

Complete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 07-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
prismfisher
1982 CJ8 

Front Drive shaft

I have been hearing a noise in the front and have isolated to the frond drive shaft. There seems to be some slop in the (what I am calling ) slip yoke right before the U Joint (which also has to be replaced). My question is.... is the slop acceptable or is there a seal that needs to be replaced? I know there is a zerk on it but what other maintenance needs to be done on this?

Thanks for the input. I just didn't know what terms to search for

img_20130702_083118_103.jpg

prismfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
MoC
1986 CJ7 

The front drive shaft only turns when engaged 4wd. Are you hearing the noise all the time or just in 4wd?

Edit to answear question --> The driveshaft should not have slop in the slip joint. A drive shaft company can fix it.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

In 2WD, you should NOT hear a thing.
With the shaft now removed. Test drive the Jeep with the hubs locked ans un-locked to confirm the issue is the DS.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
prismfisher
1982 CJ8 

Thanks. The noise is all the time and not just engaged. Will look at getting repaired. It is sloppy where the shaft goes into the sleeve and not the u joint itself.
prismfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismfisher
Thanks. The noise is all the time and not just engaged. Will look at getting repaired. It is sloppy where the shaft goes into the sleeve and not the u joint itself.
Just to make sure you understood the responses. If the noise is all the time it is not the front drive shaft or front drive shaft u joints.
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

[quote=moc;15632713]just to make sure you understood the responses. If the noise is all the time it is not the front drive shaft of front drive shaft u joints.[/quo

THIS X-2!
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.