Front bumper build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Front bumper build

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 06-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #16
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkiemurph View Post
First off, I'm not a welder. Decided I'd like custom front bumper, though, and I have a few welding things, so decided I'd give it a try. Just gonna put in a couple of pics. BTW, it's 3" x 6" x 1/4" rect. tubing.

Just to offer a little advice to you as a beginning welder. If you'll clean the rust off in the weld area before you weld it will really improve the looks and strenght of your welds.

Keep posting your projects, they are looking great!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #17
Stan99
1978 CJ7 

I dont know if I missed this or not, if I did sorry! What is the sqaure reciever above the fair lead mount for? Also the bumper looks great. Can we some more pictures of the jeep???????
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #18
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

Looks good. I'd be proud. I am new to welding also and a bumper is my first real project too.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #19
arkiemurph
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan99 View Post
I dont know if I missed this or not, if I did sorry! What is the sqaure reciever above the fair lead mount for? Also the bumper looks great. Can we some more pictures of the jeep???????
Sorry for the late response! I have about a 4' piece of pipe I slide down in that receiver when I hunt deer/hogs. If you get one, you hook your snatch block onto the top of the pipe and winch the deer up, tie his legs to the bumper and drive back to camp!

Murph
arkiemurph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #20
foster192
1978 CJ7 

Not that it's a big deal, but, I always thought that the D-ring mounts should be in line with the frame and/or bumper mounting brackets.
foster192 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #21
black954
1978 CJ7 

Your shackle mounts should not have a gap between them. If you have a side pull, they will bend right over. Also, Bolt style shackles should never be used on a side pull as well. You could very easily cut a piece of plate to fit between the two tabs and then weld the perimeter of the tabs so all 3 pieces are tied together. Then they will be fine. You can also get decent Anchor style shackles at a farm and fleet or tractor supply that will be much safer.
The 8274 looks AWESOME on your CJ, the only winch to put on one!
black954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #22
arkiemurph
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by black954 View Post
Your shackle mounts should not have a gap between them. If you have a side pull, they will bend right over. Also, Bolt style shackles should never be used on a side pull as well. You could very easily cut a piece of plate to fit between the two tabs and then weld the perimeter of the tabs so all 3 pieces are tied together. Then they will be fine. You can also get decent Anchor style shackles at a farm and fleet or tractor supply that will be much safer.
The 8274 looks AWESOME on your CJ, the only winch to put on one!
Thanks, those 8274's are bad boys! I've never been real happy with those shackle mounts. Harbor Freight special. I'm either gonna slide a 1/2's plate in the middle of each one and weld it up or make new shackle mounts out of a tractor draw bar I have.

As to the mounts being wider than the frame, I don't think it'll make any difference as stout as this bumper is. Unless there's something I'm missing? I mounted them the width of a tow bar that I had built for my old CJ5.

Murph
arkiemurph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bumper , front , winch plate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.