front brake calipers seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > front brake calipers seal

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
bligon64

1974 CJ5 

front brake calipers seal

I need to change the seals for my disk brake calipers on the front. I tried carefully prying on them but that didn't work. I was thinking of hooking the calipers back up to the master cylinder and trying it that way. Anyone have any other easier ideas?

bligon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:34 AM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Put a block of wood in the caliper and apply a little air to the inlet. The air will blow the piston out against the block of wood. Be careful, some pistons are composite. Too much air or manhandling them out of the bores can damage them.
Remove the piston. From there, you can replace the seal and boot. The kits should be available locally.
You can clean up the bores with some emery cloth.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
bligon64

1974 CJ5 

Didn't have a air comp at home so i tried inserting a bike pump hose into where the brake line goes, and it worked wonders. Thanks jeepdaddy2000
bligon64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.